Kenwood KA-305 - Lost Left Channel suddenly

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by whosnotwo, May 30, 2018.

1. whosnotwo

whosnotwo New Member

Hi. I was listening to my KA 305 over the weekend. It had been running fine when all of a sudden, i heard a loud pop and the left channel went out. I switched the speakers to make sure it wasn't that. They both work from the right channel only. I hoped it was just a fuse, but those are fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can someone guide me towards troubleshooting and fixing this?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. whosnotwo

whosnotwo New Member

Is nobody able to help out here? Did i post in the wrong forum?

3. mikepick

mikepick New Member

I am by no means an expert, but the first steps are to narrow down where the problem might have occurred. Does the problem affect all inputs? Have you tried listening through headphones? How about taking a signal out of the Tape Out and putting it though another amplifier (which admittedly doesn't tell you much but it's a starting point.)

4. whosnotwo

whosnotwo New Member

Hi, thank you for the reply. I already did the tests you suggested. All inputs and outputs are affected. I have not tried tape out to another amp tho. I'll give that a shot.

5. rickl

rickl Member

have you measured the speaker binding posts on the broken channel? if v+, you have blown outputs. If 10-30mV, you are good.

have you cleaned all the switches?

i did see there are a few threads on the ka-305 here. not sure if they will help since i didn't read them closely.

6. mikepick

mikepick New Member

Tape Out will probably have a good signal, but I think it doesn't do much before output there so it won't really help diagnose the problem, but it will give you hope. :)

Cleaning switches is a good idea to start with as well, but otherwise you'll need to crack it open and start testing. The service manual seems to be available at HiFi engine: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/ka-305.shtml

Please register to disable this ad.

7. rickl

rickl Member

if you cleaned everything, gort, rjsalvi, hopjohn and others suggest checking PS voltages. I checked the schematic and the PS board looks pretty simple with zeners to clamp the rails.

I'd probably just check voltages on your amp with what is listed on the schematic. Assuming you are using a DBT, the voltages will be slightly lower but you know that.

8. whosnotwo

whosnotwo New Member

Thank you to all for the replies. I will check the voltages and clean switches over the weekend and report back. I appreciate the advice!

9. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

are you versed in what needs to occur? do you have the tools and equipment to shoot and solder? cuz a lot of what might be said to ya, may seem like ancient greek.

10. whosnotwo

whosnotwo New Member

Hi. I am novice for sure. I have a multimeter and a basic understanding of how to use it. This KA 305 is not my main unit. I thought it would be a good one for me to learn the ropes. I have a soldering iron and am pretty good with it. My main weakness is troubleshooting. I really don't know a lot about it. I am reading and watching youtube videos.

I am hoping someone can steer me in a very close direction. If i can figure out where the problem lies, i'm confident i can fix it.