Kenwood KA-3500 bias won't adjust

bradfro

I've been working at restoring this kenwood amp. When I got it, Q19 was completely melted along with the surrounding resistors. I went through and replaced all the burned out components and have been systematically fixing issues that came up. I seem to be stuck on the bias circuit in the left channel. The right channel works. I can't adjust the bias. The reading now is .1mv, it should be 40mv when adjusted properly. The trim pot has no effect on this. The trim pot does measure correctly with an ohm meter and changes value when adjusted. Q7, which is part of the bias circuit was bad, so I replaced it, but the bias still won't adjust. The left channel does produce audio fine at low level. When the volume is increased, there is noticeable distortion. A 1khz signal looks fine at the base of Q1at any volume. But turning up the volume, half the sine wave flattens out if you look at the collector. I would guess that Q1 and Q3 are the issue, but these are brand new and HFE matched. So I'm suspecting the bias circuit is causing this. Needless to say, all the voltages are correct.

Here is the schematic, all the green transistors have been replaced with new ones. Also, all the electrolytic caps in the left channel have been replaced. I also swapped the two output transistors Q21 and Q23 from another spare 3500. Maybe I should just replace the remaining 4 transistors, but I'm hoping someone may have helpful insight in this and point me to the likely cause.

kenwood_ka3500.jpg

I will need to check these tonight (amp repair is not my day job), I know that the base voltages on Q17 and Q19 are 1.2 and -1.2 as the schematic shows.

also get voltages at the outputs whilst you are at it .
the +-1.2v is good . the outputs should be conducting if the drivers are good .

Whenever a channel is blown (outputs and/or drivers), you need to look carefully at the V/I limiter circuitry if the amp is so equipped. In this case, we're talking about Qe9,11, 13, and 15. Replacements are cheap, so I usually just toss 'em and pop in new ones from Fairchild.

This is all assuming that you've already carefully checked the supporting resistors. Tedious, I know, but demons lurk in those un-inspected critters.

I checked driver voltages and outputs...
transistor Base collector emitter
q17 -0.07 36 1.29
q19 -.52 -35 -1.08
q21 -.07 36 -.07
q23 -.5 -36 -.07

I'll work at replacing Q9,11,13,and 15 and I'll check the supporting resistors, Thanks, Echowars and Petehall347

Q9 was bad and replacing it fixed the distortion in the left channel. Funny, that was the last transistor I swapped with a new one. All the transistors on the left channel are new except the outputs. Now, both channels work and sound good. However, I still can't adjust the bias on the left channel. It's still stuck at 0v.

Peterhall347, I will recheck these voltages, The q17 base voltage Is positive, not negative. I can change the base voltage on q17 by adjusting the bias trimpot from about .5v to 1v. The question is, if I can change the base voltage on q17 with the trimmer, why doesn't the voltage change on the output points where there should be 40mv between the 2 emitters. I checked the emitter resistors they should be .47 ohms and they do seem to be correct. I measure .8 ohms, put the readings are the same on all 4 emitter resistors.

I've checked all the resistors in the bias circuit area, and most in the left channel. They all measure good.

I did swap out q7 with a equivalent transistor. I don't know what I used, but I'm going to recheck. Maybe I'll swap q7 with the right channel just to make sure that isn't the problem.

Fixed it, Q17 was installed backwards. I did this early in my repair. I went by the "B" on the foil side which is the "B" for the driver. So I put it in backwards. I found this when checking voltages. It's strange that the channel even worked with Q17 in backwards. The bias adjust works now.

The heatsink looks exotic - what did you do to it?
I was wondering if anyone would notice. When I got the amp it was really dirty inside, so I pulled the transformer and put the whole thing in the dishwasher. It came out clean, except for the black heat sink. The paint had come of in spots. I didn't feel like reprinting it, so it removed it from the circuit board and stripped off the paint. I think it looks pretty coolimage.jpeg

black is best ..but that looks overkill size anyway ..i bet it barely gets warm even after a good workout .

haha you did what? put the amp in the dishwasher?, that one was new to me atleast!

shure i run a lot of stuff in the dishwasher. but an amplifier?

i put them in the shower now i have one ..used to use a bowl of hot water ..
blow dry with compressed air then leave in the full sun for a day or so .. or in a hot dry place in winter .

it is the pcb that needs to be properly dry ..i once read of a repair shop that had a bad spate of damp boards causing all sorts of problems .. they left them in a warm dry space for a length of time that i cant remember how long it was now .maybe a few weeks

Back
Top Bottom