Kenwood Ka-55 info and cleaning tips

Gertjan90

Hi guys,

So after fixing some lights and meters on my Kr-7060 and KA-5700 (props to Gort), I decided to dig up the KA-55 I bought earlier in the year to mess around with until some parts come in.

So, this KA-55 is a bit of a mystery to me, I could only find out that this unit was also sold as KA-33. Power specs range from 35 to 55 WPC, depending on who you ask. Although, it's probably closer to the former.
There's a matching tuner and cassette player around, so it might have been part of a rack system?
Anyway, it sounds pretty decent and I might use it to amp my PC tunes.

If anyone has some info on this unit, I'd be gratefull.

Now, the second part of my question:

The phono input of the amp is crackly. One of the channels pops in and out. I'll try to fix it, but the inside of this thing is filthly!
I scrubed20170710_213746.jpg 20170710_213814.jpg 20170710_213826.jpg the faceplate and you won't beleave the amount of tar/nicotine that came off.

Before I tackle cleaning the insides, which are coated in tar as well, I'd like to know what the usual MO is for cleaning dirty PCB's. Alcohol and Q-tips?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I might be drawn to Kenwood amps for some reason..

Windex, 409, Glass Plus...there doesn't seem to be a standard MO. Q-tips are great for tight areas but expect it to take a while. I like to use different size paint brushes soaked in cleaner then widdle my way down in size to the q-tips.

For the board reverse where all the flux is I use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, a tooth brush to scrub, and some thick quality paper towels or shop rags to sop up.

Back
Top Bottom