Kenwood ka-7300 amplifier normal/separate switch

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by garage inc., Jun 23, 2017.

1. garage inc.

garage inc. New Member

How do you hook up a plate amp via the ka-7300 rear panel "pre-out/amp in" jacks to power subwoofers & still get full range sound to my small speakers that have built in crossovers, do the speaker outputs on rear of the ka-7300 still send a full range amplified signal regardless of normal/separate switch position or what position do you put the normal/separate switch in to get both lows from the subwoofer plate amp & full range sound to my small speakers, thanks for any input.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. inductor

inductor Super Member

they do yup

3. Collin1141

Collin1141 Well-Known Member

What input options do you have on your subs?

4. garage inc.

garage inc. New Member

Dayton 1000 watt plate amp with 2 low level inputs R & L plus an LFE input, no high level speaker inputs, plus two wires that go to subwoofers. My question is: If I pre out from the kenwood to the Dayton amp, can I use the speaker outputs on the kenwood for my small speakers so I have full range sound & what position do I put the normal/separate switch in to achieve if possible pre out signal to Dayton amp plus full range sound out of the kenwoods speaker outputs. I don't have the Dayton plate amp yet, I need to know before I buy it, how you hook up a subwoofer plate amp to these kenwood integrated amps & achieve both low bass & high full range sound, thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  5. claneg

claneg New Member

Do the connecions as you stated, and leave the switch to normal: doing so, you will have an output at the speakers terminals, and at the pre out RCA too.
    My doubt in this arragement is if the 12K ohm input impedance of the Dayton 1000 can cause some impedance mismatch with the KA7300 power amp section.

6. garage inc.

garage inc. New Member

What can I expect with an impedance mismatch, will an impedance mismatch hurt either the kenwood or Dayton amp, thanks again.

7. Collin1141

Does the Dayton amp have level out control?
    If so, just use the Kenwood set for normal stereo operation to your main speakers and feed the Dayton amp with the TAPE outs
    That's how I did it with a Marantz receiver and a Yamaha sub
    You'll just have to set the levels (volume) with 2 pots instead of one
    If the plate (sub) amp doesn't have a level control then I don't know a good answer

8. claneg

claneg New Member

A cut in the lower frequency range.

9. garage inc.

garage inc. New Member

The Dayton amp has "variable gain" to match the kenwood's pre-amp pre-out sensitivity voltage which I just realized by studying further on their website & variable eq boost in + db"s - db's. Why come out of the tape loop jacks instead of pre out jacks, thanks again.

10. Collin1141

How else you going to to run your main speakers AND the sub(s) off the Kenwood?
    There is no bass management provision available on the Kenwood KA-7300 except for re-assigning what line levels out it does have - like TAPE
    Unless I'm missing something here
    You got a 3rd amp or pre-amp involved in this deal?
    If not, what I'm saying is your only option unless your subs have speaker level taps in

11. Collin1141

The simple answer is NO
    Your KA-7300 integrated amplifier can be configured to function as a stand alone power amplifier only, as a stand alone pre-amplifier only, but not both at the same time
    Only way to accomplish that is to use it as an integrated which requires the two sections be connected

12. garage inc.

garage inc. New Member

The Dayton subwoofer amp powers the subwoofer, the kenwood speaker outputs power the small speakers with the normal/separate switch on normal.

13. Collin1141

Read up on what a power amp and a pre-amplifier are

14. garage inc.

garage inc. New Member

Then are you saying claneg above is wrong in saying with the normal/separate switch put to normal that there will be output at the pre-out jacks & at the speaker output terminals on the ka-7300?

15. Collin1141

You can use your KA-7300 as an INTEGRATED amplifier
    You can make the switch and use it as a stand alone POWER amplifier
    You can make the switch and use it as a stand alone PRE-amplfier
    But YOU CANNOT use them INDEPENDENTLY and at the same time without either another pre-amp or another power amp
    The KA-7300 HAS NO PROVISION FOR BASS MANAGEMENT OF ANY KIND
    That's what I'm saying

16. roger2

roger2 . Subscriber

Option 1: As discussed previously leave the switch set to Normal, use the KA-7300 speaker outputs for your full range speakers and pre-outs RCA jacks to feed the sub.

Option 2: (If for some reason Option 1 does not work). Set the switch to Separate. Get a pair of MMF RCA splitters. The two male ends of the splitters connect pre-out to main-in on each channel of the amp. The female ends of the splitters connect to a normal RCA cable which feeds the sub.

IMHO the input impedance of the sub should not be an issue. Subs are hooked up off of pre/main jacks all the time. Even if there is some type of roll-off in the LF it would likely not be noticeable and could be compensated for in the sub's controls. Also, Tape Outs would send signal to the sub, but having to always adjust sub output with every change in volume of the main amp would be a pain, and would always result in less than ideal matching. Getting a sub output properly matched with the main amp takes a lot trial and error, you don't want to go through that with every slight change in volume of the main amp. With either of the connection options above, adjusting volume on the KA-7300 would alter the sub output accordingly. The sub's output level control would only be used for matching and once it is set to your liking you can forget it.

Let us know how your sub works out for you ...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  17. Collin1141

The switch is the same as the U-hook jumpers on other models
    You cannot separate the two sections and they still work together as one

18. roger2

roger2 . Subscriber

@Collin1141

If the two sections operate as one, no matter what, then the KA-7300 speakers outputs will always work. And the amp has pre-outs, what are they for if not to send out a pre-amplifier signal?

If the switch is the same as the U-hook jumpers, then my Option 2 will work. Have done it many times. Again, what is the point of having the pre-out/main-in if you can't use them? When the sections are separated, why can't the pre-out connect externally (via splitter cables) to the main-in of the same amp?

If I am wrong I am wrong. I haven't looked specifically at the Ka-7300 schematic. But I KNOW that every other amp I have had with pre-out/main-in jacks can be used as I described in Option 2 above. Is it possible that you are confused?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  19. garage inc.

garage inc. New Member

That's what I thought roger2, the separate switch on normal should be the same as if the pre-out main in have jumpers connected. SWITCH ON NORMAL, PRE-OUTS TO SUB AMP, SPEAKER OUTPUTS TO SMALL SPEAKERS. I will let you know how it works after i buy & hook up the Dayton 1000w amp, thanks to all involved.

20. roger2

roger2 . Subscriber

The only thing I am uncertain of is whether, when the switch is set to Normal, the signal is indeed present at the pre-out jacks. I would guess that it is, but not 100% certain. If it is not, then option 2 will work but that requires buying RCA MMF splitters (Parts Express would have them as well as ebay of course).