Kenwood KA-801 - issues and outputs?

slimecity

Hi there -

I may consider bidding on one of these that is available - cited as non working on one channel.

I see it has the batwing outputs 2SA1107 & 2SC2587 on each channel.

In case these are blown - are there any modern workarounds to replace these?

I see that this is cited as being a "high speed" amp - the 2SA1107 has a transition freq of 50mHz and the 2SC2587 of 35mHz - has anyone heard this amp and think it sounds OK?

cheers!

Cheers rjsalvi -

So no one has experience with, or has otherwise heard this amp?

Its otherwise known as the KA-8011, apparently.

No experience with that amp, but it's likely very good being one step below the KA-907 in that series. Dual transformers is always nice.

When I see "one channel dead" I also see "one channel working", which means that it probably comes out of protection, which reduces the chance of shorted outputs. User error or dirty switches become more likely.

The biggest turn off to me on an 801 is the lack of pre-outs on an amp that high in the line. Not crazy about the styling and the almost always broken toggle switches. They're kinda scarce also. The 8011 is the gunmetal version of the 801.

Hi there -

I may consider bidding on one of these that is available - cited as non working on one channel.

I see that this is cited as being a "high speed" amp - the 2SA1107 has a transition freq of 50mHz and the 2SC2587 of 35mHz - has anyone heard this amp and think it sounds OK?

cheers!
I just sold a KA-801 last week, demonstrated it to the guy, he took it home & hooked up 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers, turned it on & blew 2 of the 4 ea. 5 amp fuses. He replaced fuses with no speakers connected & blew the fuses again, he obviously hooked something up wrong or shorted speaker wires with power on. OMFG! Now I have to look at it & give his money back or fix it. Who knows where to get a substitute for the 2sa1107 & 2sc2587?? I have the 8011 also but not giving that to him, wondering if theses amps only like an 8 ohm connection rather than 4 ohm.
Hi there -

cheers!

Last edited:
Yes these are good amps if you get a working one, otherwise good luck with finding the power transistors. With luck maybe it's not the transistors, but more than likely it is in my experience.

Last edited:
use tis ones: Sanken, 2SC2921 / 2SA1215. But only real ones, no fake! They work fine. Replace the trimmer for the Bias, ther are often broken down in this Amp and than the bias will come to high and the amp blows down

Richard

use tis ones: Sanken, 2SC2921 / 2SA1215. But only real ones, no fake! They work fine. Replace the trimmer for the Bias, ther are often broken down in this Amp and than the bias will come to high and the amp blows down

Richard
Bias trimmer seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom