1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Kenwood KA-801 Project

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Depecheduran, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Depecheduran

Depecheduran AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that I scored a KA-801 at the goodwill auction website for just under $200! The problem is the same old same old with things being packed for shipping poorly. It took a hit on the front during shipping slightly on the volume knob and bent the stamped metal under the faceplate. It made the volume knob look crooked. On top of that, it just needed a real good cleaning and fuses tested n such. It's definitely not a perfect unit. The switch caps are all but one broke off and I'll make an effort at some point to fix that issue after I test this rough diamond out. Any suggestions anyone might have would be really appreciated.

I plan on hooking it up through a pair of Infinity CS-3008's. As soon as I get everything back together, I'll post some pics.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gort69

gort69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Had the same issue.

Disassemble it so as to get the vol pot out of the way. Figure out what size bolt - the longer the better - will best fit the hole (3/8, 1/2" metric etc). Thread a nut and a washer onto the bolt, put the bolt through the hole and put a washer and nut on from the back side and tighten the two nuts against eachother with the face frame sandwiched in between. . Use the bolt to bend it back in the direction needed. Will likely be a trial and error deal.

3. eizner23

eizner23 Active Member

Fantastic idea!

Depecheduran likes this.
  4. Depecheduran

I took the inner face off.. (the stamped metal part) then took it to the shed and gave it a few small taps with the rubber hammer and set it pretty straight. I'm putting her back together right now.

5. Depecheduran

So I fixed the stamped metal inner faceplate. The knob is now sitting pretty in It's rightful place. I found a nice donor 701 that looked like it was sitting in someone's barn from the looks of the inside. It had all the toggle switches I needed to make the 801 look all pretty on the outside. The phono outputs were kaput and took it in for servicing so now it has been a long wait and I've finally hooked her up to my Infinity CS-3008's and it sounds AMAZING! Very clear. I can't wait to get my Infinity Kappa 7's restored so I can run both sets at the same time! I picked up a a KT-615 tuner and a GE-1000 equalizer but both need work to get them working as they should. Now I just need a cassette player.

6. Depecheduran

Oh... I also have a KD-550 that needs a tonearm. Any suggestions?

7. Depecheduran

15280531561681269716041.jpg

gort69 and dpdatl like this.
  8. ghamilton

ghamilton Super Member

9. ghamilton

ghamilton Super Member

10. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Well if that isn't hiding a question from us so we take a couple weeks to answer. It is all kenwood so it is fine here but this is a thread titled for the amp. Now on to the turntable.

Budget has a lot to do with the arm chosen as does the choice of cartridges.

I am not a proponent of setting something up that is period correct which would be a very low mass tonearm and some NLA cartridge with unobtanium or veryrarium replacement styli. I would recommend and arm that can use today's cartridges whether that be vintage or newer doesn't matter. To put this into choices:

Arms that are very low mass and correct period for the table: Infinity Black Widow, Polk/Mayware/JMReproducers/Sonus Formula 4 (different makers very similar arms), SME 3009 III, some of the Grace arms. All these are looking for very high compliance cartridges >20 which are not as popular today as back then.

Period arms that will handle today's cartridges are some of the other SME 3009 but not the Series 2 Improved (6.5 gram effective mass), Magnepan (7 gram but a unipivot and that throws the compliance match for a loop), some of the Fidelity Research models and the SEAC arms.

But there are other arms available, too, Take offs from the Luxman tables similar to the Micro Seiki TA-1, even the original arm for the KD-550. I have a few arms here, vintage the Magnepan arm great unit, SME 3009 S2 Improved (not the Series 2 improved which is fixed headshell) with the removable headshell and a more modern AudioMods arm. In today's arms the Jelcos are nice and are really good at the 700 model numbers as is the Audiomods arm. Folks also like the entry level SME arm. Of course, there are lots of newer arms to consider and info no these is readily available on the web in general.

Back to you on cartridge choices (for arm mass determination) and budget.

Depecheduran likes this.
  11. Depecheduran

Sorry about the elusive tonearm question. And the info you gave is a nice start. Gotta do some accounting and break a piggy bank open.

12. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Let us know what you find and we can help you spend it.

13. fernarias

fernarias Super Member

There's a kd-550 tonearm on the bay right now. Just search "all" kenwood kd-550 (stupid ebay search bot).

Depecheduran likes this.
  14. Depecheduran

Thank You but I have that tonearm. I wanna upgrade.

15. fernarias

fernarias Super Member

The original tonearm is very good. It would cost a lot to make a noticeable improvement.

Depecheduran likes this.