Kenwood KA-8100 filter buttons stuck

kingcrab

I brought home a close to mint condition Kenwood KA-8100 a couple of days ago. The face plate is pristine, except for a very slight bent top corner on the left side. The case is close to perfect also, only a very small discoloration on the top, and that's between the grills.

Anyway, I plugged it in, the power indicator flashed a couple of times then died. Tried a few more times, no go. So out come the Deoxit. Took me at least 5 tries to cure this. Now it powers up, and the relay is working.

Running into another problem though. All 3 filter buttons (low, high, subsonic) are stuck in the "on" position (pushed in). When I push them, nothing happens. Looks like they have springs behind them tough. Any of you experienced this before? Is there an easy fix? I'll see if I can take some photos in my photo studio this week and share with you all.

Have you tried cleaning those switches? Usually the deal is get cleaner and lube in ALL the controls.

I haven't taken the face plate off yet, so it's kinda difficult to treat them with DeOxit. But it looks to me they are more like physically stuck, like something is blocking the knobs from being released? Previous owner told me he spend something like $500 to have a reputable tech go through the whole thing and was given a clean bill of health for another 15 years! If I were that guy, I'd be seriously PO'ed. On top of that he said he paid serious money for it ($350) on eBay.

Well, turns out just loosening the screws for the face place solved the button issue. I did have to pull them out though. The friction between the openings and the buttons are causing them to get stuck. Not sure why, maybe they are not being lined up perfectly? I don't use these filters anyway, so they stay in off position.

Here are some photos I took. I pulled the rack handles from my KA-6100 and put them on the 8100.

_MG_1019.jpg

_MG_1015.jpg

_MG_1017.jpg

_MG_1020.jpg

_MG_1022.jpg

_MG_1021.jpg

_MG_1023.jpg

Very clean looking ka-8100...I have one along with a KT-7500 and KT-8300. I just love them, and would like to get a Supreme 500 or 600 one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom