Kenwood KA-880D amplifier, any good?

Mystery

constantly upgrading...
Got a Kenwood KA-880D amplifier along with some with some Sansui tuner, RCA cd changer and a cassette player from a buddy who no longer had use for them.
Is it good as Kenwood basic or KM series amplifiers?
Specs has pretty decent 100 wpc with dynamic output of 265 wpc @ 2 ohms so hopefully stable at 2 ohms. :scratch2:
Thanks

KA-880DSpecs.jpg

That amp should do you just fine. Kenwood made some nice integrated amps in the mid 80's. The 770D,880D,1100SD and 3300D are nice units. Enjoy it

Thanks for comments.
I won't run it at 2 ohms but some of my speakers are 4 ohms so hopefully it won't explode.

I have KM-105 with 125 wpc rating so the 880D may be similar to this.

I'm running mine with a 4 ohm load with no problems. If you look in the rest of the owner's manual (that picture you posted looks mighty familiar) you will see that a 4 ohm load is fine.

A friend of mine used to have one of those integrateds. It didn't look like much but was actually surpringly good. I almost bought it at one point and typically I don't care for most kenwoods. If all is well with it then try it out. It may suprise you as well.

It was unused for almost a decade so need to check DC voltage before plugging in the speakers.
thanks

I believe Kenwood still made some passable amps in that period. This one looks like it would have benefited from a larger power transformer, but the capacitance is good.

I use test speakers. And, to tell you the truth, I've hooked up DOZENS of vintage receivers and amps to them and I haven't BLOWN them ONCE in all those tries before checking the old DC offset? So either I'm living a "charmed" life or my test speakers, which are pretty shitty, are "indestructible"?

I'm looking forward to watching those speakers "fry", but it may not happen in my lifetime? lol

cnh2

Back
Top Bottom