Kenwood KA-9100

mud1m

Hi guys I just got a Kenwood KA-9100 with a KT-7500 AM/FM Tuner - I dont know much about this at all. I got it all hooked up and it works but when I turn the volume up loud it starts getting staticy It sounds fine when its down lower. I dont think it is my speakers cause my other receiver doesn't do it when i crank it loud. I was reading about DeoxIT and could that possibly fix my problem if I sprayed all the switches? If so how hard is it to get at these switches so I can spray them? Any info on this unit would be helpful!!! Here is a photo of it. If it is too much to fix I will just go back to my other receiver and sell this pair if anyone is interested?

Last edited:
Thank you guys, Also does anyone know where I can get some new lights for the meters? Mine are both not working.

Open it up and you should see the pots, There should be gaps in them where you can spray the cleaner into - obviously with the power off.

Another question, The heatsinks on each side of the unit, the right side one is getting so warm i cant barley touch it. and the left side is just warm. Why is it doing that? Aint gunna catch on fire is it?

Is this with music playing?
That's a sign of the amp board transistors breaking down or not driving the TA100W chip properly.
Or it could be "other" with the amp board

I wouldn't run run it too long with it getting hot like that
Over driving the bass is not good for these, clipping can happen and cause damage to speakers or the amp sections

Last edited:
Yes and i noticed the right speaker was only working.(hence the reason why the right side was so hot)?? So i turned the balance all the way to the left and the right started cooling down and the left side started getting warm. I think this input selector is whats causing all this cause i wiggle it and the left and right speakers go in and out...i need to really order up some deoxit....

You need to clean up the pots and switches first, then go into checking audio etc. You don't know how this amp has been treated
or run. The switches cause the intermittent stuff but the amps do break down and if driven hard with problems you can cause more problems. I've worked on over 50 of these 9100's and the heating up of a channel heat sink is usually the amp board or the chip TA100. So take it slow.
Don't matter how the description was when you bought it. Clean the switches etc and let them dry. There are a lot of threads on cleaning here.
John M

The left speaker should have been working when turned to the left,
reversed wires? careful with shredded wires, one strand will short out a channel.

I dont know anything about these i just got this amp from a buddy for some work i did for him and the only thing i knew how to do was hook the speakers and tuner up to it lol... im not audio savy or anything. But i do know that when a speaker stops working i wiggle the input button and it comes back. I Will get some deoxit soon and take it apart and hopefully not mess anything up... i appriciate all your advice John. Thanks much! Neil.

Right now both speakers are working and the unit is not hot anymore. both sides are just a little warm

Good luck .. there can be strange problems that happen and if I don't have the unit I'm just going with my experience.

John M

Back
Top Bottom