Kenwood KR-4600 Repair

Did you pull board(s) to do the electrolytics? Was it necessary to de-solder pins to get the power amplfier board into a position where you could work on it? Did you have to de-string the tuner?

I removed front panel (as far as it was possible without disconnecting absolute everything) and L profiles that hold cooler. It was necessary to free the pcb and have accesss to all the components. There is chassis profile under the front of the board so you can't access part there. De-soldering pins would be better, so board could come out completely so I didn't need to worry about broken wires, but I was lazy to do that. Note that 10uF/16V (4 pieces near the pots) are bipolars.
That left channel thing is mystery to me, don't know where to start. I don't believe those hard wires nor the trims. One bias trim came apart when I tried to regulate with it.

I found schematics for a KR-5600 on Hifi Engine, but was wondering if the Service Manual exists somewhere?

Will what happened?

Post #19 back along the way here diverges and tells the tale of how it went with mine

I actually have another one I should push up to my on-deck circle. I originally got it for a parts unit. It has an intermittent problem with one channel. It was also missing all its knobs and had a broken tuning shaft. I bought a set of knobs and a tuning shaft and flywheel assembly. The side panels are going to require a little love. The thing looks like it was left out on some curb. Haha.

Last edited:
Ha I did a terrible job of note takng and photo documentation on this one. I don't even have the receiver anymore so I'm unable to pull the cover to help refresh my memory. Whatever I did it's probably still in my noodle but would take a Vulcan mind meld to access the file. Maybe Saturday I'll go to my 'temporary warehouse' (sister's), and retrieve the other unit. See what I can see. I probably did what czgagi did which he related in post #21.

Still in the process of moving; unpacking; re-establishing my bench

Last edited:
Ha I did a terrible job of note takng and photo documentation on this one. I don't even have the receiver anymore so I'm unable to pull the cover to help refresh my memory. Whatever I did it's probably still in my noodle but would take a Vulcan mind meld to access the file. Maybe Saturday I'll go to my 'temporary warehouse' (sister's), and retrieve the other unit. See what I can see. I probably did what czgagi did which he related in post #21.

Still in the process of moving; unpacking; re-establishing my bench
Be great if you could snap a pic on the turner dial. thanks spencer

Back
Top Bottom