Kenwood KR-5030 (GW Find)

Styx_II

The Grand Illusion
I pick this up for parts @ a GW for a few bucks when my KR-5030 started acting up. The lady @ the GW said they tested it and the power/lights would just flicker and not stop when it was turned on. She said it was really bad that way but for $5.00 I grabbed.

Well, my original KR-5030 just needed a really good cleaning, lube and recapping so I never looked at the donor.....that was over a year ago. I forgot I even had it til I came across it two weeks ago in the basement. I decided to finally take a good look at it. Man, it was really dirty inside and out. About a hour later it was sounding good and looking better.

P1090094.jpg

Now I have to figure out what to do with it. :scratch2:

Has anyone built a cabinet for a receiver like this? Is it difficult to do? I like the look of the wood cabinet but they're very hard to come by. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Under all the dirt . . . . a work of art!
Dang, that's one of the prettiest receivers I've seen.
Five dollars? I think all the GW/SA/Value Village hunters are green with envy.
Any competent woodworker should be able to make you a case if you have dimensions or drawings. Myself, I prefer the all-metal look on audio gear.

Under all the dirt . . . . a work of art!
Dang, that's one of the prettiest receivers I've seen.
Five dollars? I think all the GW/SA/Value Village hunters are green with envy.
Any competent woodworker should be able to make you a case if you have dimensions or drawings. Myself, I prefer the all-metal look on audio gear.

Sorry for the late response.....I forget to look in the "kenwood" forum. Yeah, it cleaned up nice. I really don't need it now and I have more receivers than I can actually use. Since I have one with a cabinet, I'm going to use it as a template to built a cabinet for this one. It should be a fun project.

On the older kenwoods, before your unit, the standard cabinet was really just a pair of wood side panels that are held to the unit with the metal cabinet screws. These really dress up the unit and don't require a lot of work to produce. They can even be made of solid walnut or whatever.

There is a post on AK where someone is showing ones he made.

On the older kenwoods, before your unit, the standard cabinet was really just a pair of wood side panels that are held to the unit with the metal cabinet screws. These really dress up the unit and don't require a lot of work to produce. They can even be made of solid walnut or whatever.

There is a post on AK where someone is showing ones he made.

Thanks for the tip.

Great looking receiver. I've always thought that was a particularly attractive series, and kind "under the radar" as far as popularity. I've got a KR-4070, looks similar. Always wondered about the lack of consistency on the model numbers, which included the 2090, 3090, 4070, 5030, and 6030.

There were wood side panels available for this series, and you can see them on some of the auction offerings.

Last edited:
Great looking receiver. I've always thought that was a particularly attractive series, and kind "under the radar" as far as popularity. I've got a KR-4070, looks similar. Always wondered about the lack of consistency on the model numbers, which included the 2090, 3090, 4070, 5030, and 6030.

There were wood side panels available for this series, and you can see them on some of the auction offerings.

Yeah, the numbering was odd for sure.

I do check ebay and the like for cabinets or panels but haven't had much luck.

The Kenwood community appreciates the work you've done in"saving" another nice piece of gear. Well Done!:thmbsp:

I have the KR 5330 which is the euro version of the 5030. Mine came with the cabinet. It is in storage at the moment. I have 2 4070 receivers and they have killer tuners in them. I have always said they have the best tuners since they also make transceivers for Amateur Radio as well as Commercial radios.

Harry

Looks like my KR-3090. I bought that from Goodwill. Works but signal meter keeps pegging. Didn't want to burn up the meter itself until I figure out what's wrong with it. I did manage to listen to it. I think it sounds pretty good.

I love Kenwood receivers but there's that odd model numbering......KR-3090....KR-4070....KR-5030, no rhyme or reason.

Back
Top Bottom