Kenwood KR 5030 On Ebay $100 + Shipping Nice Receiver

DJboutit

I got a Kenwood KR 5030 on Ebay for $100 + $40 shipping it has 2 minor issues for 8 to 10 seconds after it is powered on lights flicker then goes away then sound comes on and the Phono light is out. This receiver rocks this pair of Fisher DS-822 speakers I have been using it like 50min without any problems so far.

Fisher speakers I am using with Kenwood I have had for 3 weeks now

I'm trying to understand the relevance of the thread title, and the issues you're having.

I have the smaller version of those speakers, and they are O.K. for general use:

FisherDS-810.jpg

It would be a good idea to evaluate the power switch on the receiver and consider installing a load relay to keep the switch from failing completely - Something which is apparently already beginning.

PowerRelay16A.jpg

In this case, the relay is an Allen-Bradley 700HK 36A1-4, rated 16A continuous.

The flickering is not happening every time I turn on the receiver only about 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

I think what there trying to say is that , obviously there is an underlying problem with your receiver and eventually it will fail altogether, so there giving you alternatives to rectify the problem before it completely goes .

Audiofreak71

If you already have that antenna, give it a shot. I wouldn't rush out and buy one, however, since it is not likely much better than a plain folded dipole.

Kennys have a deserved reputation for a very effective RF section. I've been able to get distant stations on a 30" wire on one FM terminal in my basement workshop. When moved to the ground level, Kenwoods seem to have some inherent ability to reach out through the wire and just grab handfulls of electrons right out of the air. If your 5030 isn't doing that, it may benefit from some cleaning and adjustment. I have a couple 4070s with essentially the same front end, and they are excellent tuners.

If you already have that antenna, give it a shot. I wouldn't rush out and buy one, however, since it is not likely much better than a plain folded dipole.

Kennys have a deserved reputation for a very effective RF section. I've been able to get distant stations on a 30" wire on one FM terminal in my basement workshop. When moved to the ground level, Kenwoods seem to have some inherent ability to reach out through the wire and just grab handfulls of electrons right out of the air. If your 5030 isn't doing that, it may benefit from some cleaning and adjustment. I have a couple 4070s with essentially the same front end, and they are excellent tuners.

How does one clean and adjust the FM? I just acquired an A5070 from a local GW auction yesterday for $8. Without any external FM antenna, it pulled in one of the local stations quite well. In the next day or two I am going to hook up an extra antenna in the house and see what happens. But if a cleaning is in order, do you mean the external connectors or something inside the unit? Thanks.

I found your thread by searching for FM antennas. I'm watching to see what you come up with. FWIW my father-in-law is a shortwave guy so I am going to hit him up for some suggestions as well.

Best of luck and nice score on the Kenwood. That's a nice looking piece of kit you got there.

Someone suggested on Reddit leave the receiver on and hook it up to a power strip and use the power strip to power it on and off. This is the cheapest and easiest thing to try.

I have the same receiver. Mine looks pristine and sounded awesome until two days ago. I was listening to my Kenwood KR 5030 until all of a sudden...nothing. I had the same problem with mine. The unit was acting funky when powered on by the units power switch so I just I just turned it on with an external switch that the amp was plugged into. Today I pulled the cover expecting to see nasty electrolytic capacitor puke or other distinguishing marks on the PCB. Nothing. Now, and thank you Dave_1962, I will use deoxit and CLEAN THE POWER SWITCH...

If the unit is defective I suggest you return it and try again. Did you expect it to arrive defective?

Back
Top Bottom