Kenwood KR-5150 Are you experienced?

hopjohn

Silver Face
I know it's not the most popular model in the world, but I really like the looks of it. It sure is feature rich: 2 phono, 2 aux, 3 speaker selection, with A&B, and A&C options. It even has two mic inputs.

Have any of you techs refreshed one of these?

Looks like there are quite a number 2SC458 in there for starters.

What would/could be done beyond a recap to make this its best?

I had the sibling KR 6160 for decades. It was a fine receiver! Can't help with the technical expertise, but enjoy your cool Kenwood!

Those are great looking receivers, I have heard that they sound great too. I have a KR-5200, which is similar but has direct coupled outputs. I would suggest maybe a recap, check the bias voltage and enjoy the heck out of it.

@hopjohn did you ever dig into your KR-5150? I've finally done the basic recap and noisy transistor replacement on my KR-6160 and found this thread while searching for 5150 related threads.

Did you recap yours? Go further than that?

I also like the looks of my KR-5150. I don't get all of the negative reactions to its appearances. Mine would look better if half of the display lights weren't out, but it functions fine. Besides a thorough cleaning of all of the controls and switches, I haven't done anything to mine since I got it a few years ago. It's the core of my system.

I know it's not the most popular model in the world, but I really like the looks of it. It sure is feature rich: 2 phono, 2 aux, 3 speaker selection, with A&B, and A&C options. It even has two mic inputs.

Have any of you techs refreshed one of these?

Looks like there are quite a number 2SC458 in there for starters.

What would/could be done beyond a recap to make this its best?

I also like the looks of my KR-5150. I don't get all of the negative reactions to its appearances.

The "look" of the Kenwood KR 2120-6160 family is what got me interested in the first place and the quasi-complimentary cap-coupled output is what sold me on buying one. Well, two. And investing time and money in restoring them. I'm very happy with those decisions and the resulting sound.

The KR-5150 still has what I call a positive (greater than 1) FPKBR (Front Panel Knob to Button Ratio): 7 knobs, 6 buttons, and 1 slider. When there are more buttons than knobs, you are no longer in vintage-look-land, and possibly no longer in vintage-internal-design-and-sound-land either. ;)

The KR-5150 still has what I call a positive (greater than 1) FPKBR (Front Panel Knob to Button Ratio): 7 knobs, 6 buttons, and 1 slider. When there are more buttons than knobs, you are no longer in vintage-look-land, and possibly no longer in vintage-internal-design-and-sound-land either. ;)

The only real complainers I have on the face is the slider.

The only real complainers I have on the face is the slider.
Mine too! If I'd been a design engineer for this receiver, here's what I would've done:

1. Remove the Mode button (cool feature but rarely used) and instead put the L/R balance here
2. Make the FM muting a round push button and put it on the upper right corner of the faceplate, a la Pioneer SX-535
3. Make the remaining push buttons round and lay them out in a 2x2 gang formation with black buttons
4. Finally, make all the knobs/buttons with a black brush aluminum finish

Mine too! If I'd been a design engineer for this receiver, here's what I would've done:

1. Remove the Mode button (cool feature but rarely used) and instead put the L/R balance here
2. Make the FM muting a round push button and put it on the upper right corner of the faceplate, a la Pioneer SX-535
3. Make the remaining push buttons round and lay them out in a 2x2 gang formation with black buttons
4. Finally, make all the knobs/buttons with a black brush aluminum finis

Interesting to imagine this layout..I do use mode mono and appreciate the many other options and connections of this receiver though.

For 4. there must be custom knobs to replace the plastic ones: the black ones from the KR-7070 that tops the series are indeed solid aluminium.

Back
Top Bottom