Kenwood KR-5600 about replacing 7500uf-50v filter caps?

tusntuk2

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
About to do a full recap of a Kenny KR-5600, but I wonder if I can bump up the main filter caps a bit? The original 7500uf 50v have lots of modern replacements with screw term's or rather high prices, none of which I want. I found some 8200uf 80v snap-ins that would seem to work, but since I'm a newbie some confirmation or some better ideas would really be helpful. The new caps are at Mouser, 661-ESMH800N822MA45S or 647-LLS1K822MELC. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks in advance!

I've used the UCC SMH series in two Yamaha CA-1000 refurbs. Happy with the results. Ordered a few more.

Apologies, not familiar with the KR-5600, I would be trying to squeeze in Nichicon KW 10000uf/50V, my standard cap for mid sized
items. Should be ok with +/-38V from rectifier. Just finished a refurb on a KA-7100, used 4x10000/50 KW's. Nice amp. Note the KW
is leeds not snap in/screw/... You've just started another cap debate...

That small of an increase won't make any difference. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the LLS 8200uf caps read at the lower end of their +/- 20% tolerance and wind up being below 7500.

Good point, hj, and thanks to mbz. I've been reading the pros and cons of bigger caps and yes, it's a great debate, ain't it? OK, I'm going to abandon this thread and start another, I'm getting scattered in my old age! I will title it Kenwood KR-5600 relay/recap project. I actually have two KR-5600's to recap, the first being my own old friend I've enjoyed for years, and the second a new project with an open relay. I thought I'd work out the relay problem, recap that amp, then recap/upgrade my own with my education. I have the working model to check against as I try to repair the relay problem. Please follow along and chime in, I need all the help I can get! In the end I hope to provide a BOM list and more tips gleaned from the project, my fourth ( and fifth) recap. I just finished recapping a KA-3500 with really nice results. It's an easy amp to work on and the sound is clean, clear, detailed and strong. A lovely amp. So I was inspired to tackle the bigger project. See you on the new thread! Thanks, y'all!

Back
Top Bottom