Kenwood KR-6050 Right channel low output

phillyflyer

Greetings,
Just picked up a Kenwood KR-6050 receiver for free. Owner says right channel's power output is lower then the left side. After hooking up speakers you can definetly see by the power meters that the right channel is outputting less then the left. Does anyone have information regarding the Kenwood KR-6050 having this issue and what the fix is? Also I am looking to see if anyone knows if the receiver can handle 4 ohm impedance.

Another thing I noticed when you have 2 sets of speakers and have both A and B playing at the same time the speakers seem to play at a lowe volume then if you just played A or B by themselves. Can anyone tell me if that is normal for this receiver? I had a Pioneer SX-780 and when you swichted both sets of speakers the volume stayed the same. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Excellent price on that!

Most likely needs a good switch and pot cleaning for the low channel issue

both A and B playing at the same time the speakers seem to play at a lowe volume then if you just played A or B by themselves

The speakers are probably wired in series on A + B. To test, disconnect one set and you'll get no sound when in A + B.

Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose there is a way to get them setup in parallel? Also do you know if this receiver can handle 4 ohm impedance on the speakers?

I have two 6050s. One of the things I don't like about them is that they do connect the speakers in series in the "A + B" mode, like many other Kennys of that vintage.

They can drive one pair of 4Ω speakers, but make sure the speakers are truly 4Ω.

As for the low output, verify that the speaker selector switch decks are clean and intact, as well as the connections. There are Molex-type header connectors for each channel's output amps, and the pin/socket connections need to be clean and intact.

If the problem persists, it may be good to check the speaker relay, and then farther up the stream into the amp sections themselves.

Near the upper right corner of the photo are the two header connectors which need to be checked. They connect the ribbon cables from each power amp to the main board.

KR-6050OutputTransistors.jpg

Thanks for the input. Will look into it. Too bad about the speakers setup as I was looking forward to playing all 4 with equal volume. Great information by the way.

Back
Top Bottom