1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Kenwood KR 7600 -- Yes?

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Spenser, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Spenser

Spenser AK Subscriber Subscriber

A few quick question for Kenwood fans in-the-know.

I'm thinking about buying a Kenwood KR 7600 but I've never seen on in-person. They look gorgeous to me.

1. Are they difficult to work on?

2. Is it easy to get at the controls and PCBs? I've worked on a KR 4600 and it was a little tight.

3. IF I hold onto it for awhile, my primary use will be FM radio. How do they perform in this regard?

4. My secondary use would be vinyl. How is the phono section?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!!!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gort69

gort69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

They look gorgeous to me. Nice looking for sure. The fake heatsink side panels and the rear panel are plastic though.

1. Are they difficult to work on? A bit of a PITA. The pre-amp/selector switch board attaches to the rear panel - lots of disassembly required to access it. Power amp/heatsink has to come out to access tone board. Power amp is on plug connectors though so not too bad. Relay access a little tight. , same with dial lamps. Regulators and protect circuit on power supply C should be upgraded, as well as the wimpy bridge rectifier and the power switch. You can do it.

2. Is it easy to get at the controls and PCBs? I've worked on a KR 4600 and it was a little tight.
    See above

3. IF I hold onto it for awhile, my primary use will be FM radio. How do they perform in this regard? Just fine in my opinion

4. My secondary use would be vinyl. How is the phono section? Maybe a vinyl lover will reply.

3. M Chavez

M Chavez Member

great receiver
    Kenwood built very good tuners too so you'll be all good on the FM dial
    the phono on my 9600 was very very good and the 7600 is right next to it and better if anything does go bad because it uses normal output transistors instead of those power pack things
    I think you will be happy if you get a good one that's not trashed

4. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

5. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

I've got and KR-6600 and KR-9600 and both are outstanding on FM and phono stage. Can't speak for working on them. Yes, they are also outstanding in regard to beautiful!

6. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Kenwood tuners overall are excellent as they are a major manufacturer of ham radio equipment and used their vast radio technology to build better tuners for their gear than most other manufacturers. Even a poor tuner/tuner section from Kenwood will be at least good and their best are the best.

7. SicMan

SicMan Fire up those speakers Subscriber

I bought one new in the mid 70's. It was the main stereo in a house I rented with 3 other guys. We put thousands of hours on this thing and it kept on playing. As far as vinyl, it was great. that was 50% of the time played. FM reception was excellent, when I moved to Waterbury from Norwalk in 1980 I put am FM antenna 12 footer with rotater on it. Sounded great. finally quit in the 90's driving QLS3's too hard in the back yard. In fact I gave it to an AKer a while ago. Great receiver. Course I bought it new. Never fixed it, got into more power.

8. gort69

gort69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Radio Shack Toggle Switch - Classic!

5csYmVy.jpg

9. Spenser

Spenser AK Subscriber Subscriber

A. Thanks for the feedback from you and you other guys. Perfect.
    B. Nice check list for what should be sure to do (when in there doing the other things that naturally should be done).
    That's great on the toggle switch. Ha.

10. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Totally agree with both of these judgements. Keep in mind there are no dc offset adjusts, will need a matching pair of output tranny's to set right if ever needed.

dontmindme likes this.
  11. dontmindme

dontmindme Creature

Correct, my KR-9600 is currently in the shop having that done. My dc offset was getting to high. Hopefully it’ll come back 100%!