Kenwood KR-8050 Receiver: Any good? What do they sound like? Would it mate well with Vandersteen 2C’

js bach

Hi,

I'm looking for some comments on the Kenwood KR-8050 High Speed DC Stereo Receiver. Is it any good? What are the sound characteristics? Would the 8050 mate well with Vandersteen 2C speakers? The only other Kenwood gear I've owned includes the KR-5030, KA-7100 and KA-7300. Of those three, I liked the 5030 the best. It was full and punchy and sounded great with the Vandys. In fact, all my sources seemed to sound great on the 5030. I liked the 7100, but it seemed a little thin by comparison. Not sure if I had the Vandys at the time. If memory serves, I recall the 7300 being flat and dull sounding. Other vintage receivers I have had include a Sansui 4000 (which sounded awesome) and a Pioneer SX-1050. However, the 1050 was a long time ago, and ran it with a pair of Mirage M3si’s, which is a different animal compared to the Vandys.

I had a KR-6050 and from what I remember would also describe it as being full and punchy.

Can't help with the speaker pairing though.

Rob

I too have a 8050. It seems to me to be more like the Yamaha natural sound. It is clear, sharp and has sufficient bass. As my SX-1250 and 1280 came out of service the 8050 went to the back of the pile. It is a handsome receiver, but different from the other receivers from the Kenwood line. I've never even seen a Vandy. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom