Kenwood KR-8400

goinslow

Turn me on dead man
Does anyone have info on this receiver? Saw one for sale and the picture of it shows the model number. I did not know that Kenwood had this model. Thought they jumped from KR-7400 to the 9400. Since it does exist, how rare is it and is it an imported model? Watts per channel, years of manufacture.

Seems they should have had an 8400 based on the power of 120 wpc in the 9400 and 63 wpc in the 7400 both 20-20k@8Ω, 0.1% former, 0.3% latter. It is like there is a hole in the middle with the other x400 receivers having 45, 35, 25, 22, 16 and 10 wpc.

I've never heard of it or seen any lit on it so maybe it is something to look into. The KR-x400 receivers were new in 1975 so late 74-76 was their availability.

Does anyone have info on this receiver? Saw one for sale and the picture of it shows the model number. I did not know that Kenwood had this model. Thought they jumped from KR-7400 to the 9400. Since it does exist, how rare is it and is it an imported model? Watts per channel, years of manufacture.

I know there was a K"A"-8400 integrated.

Jim

Seems they should have had an 8400 based on the power of 120 wpc in the 9400 and 63 wpc in the 7400 both 20-20k@8Ω, 0.1% former, 0.3% latter. It is like there is a hole in the middle with the other x400 receivers having 45, 35, 25, 22, 16 and 10 wpc.

I've never heard of it or seen any lit on it so maybe it is something to look into. The KR-x400 receivers were new in 1975 so late 74-76 was their availability.

Just waiting to hear back from my 2nd email to him. He did email me back to say it was still available, so hopefully more info is coming later. It does look like a 9400, and it was what I thought it was, until a pic of the back of it showed it to be a KR-8400. Even Google searches shows nothing about it.

My bet is on 9400. If memory serves, there isn't much of a gap in that 9.

I wish the pic was still up, but it has been almost a week since the post for the receiver, and now it is expired. You may be right about the "9", but it was a pretty clear pic of the back label and it did look like an 8. Well time will tell. But I wouldnt be disappointed if it is a 9400. These series Kenwoods are just great looking and sounding receivers.

If it's the guy in Oly, I am supposed to meet him on Sunday. My last email to him was on the 17th. He emailed me this morning, and provided his phone number. He's a nice guy, I will tell him it's a 9400 (if it is) before I buy it.
The only Kenwood 8400 I could find was mentioned in a European stereo repair forum.

I will post again if things go as planned Sunday. :)

I've been collecting Kenwoods since 1968,and there was no KR-8400. That 400 series went fron 1400 up to the 9400,built from 1974 thru early 1976. Gave way in early 1976 to the 600 series, 2600 up to the 9600, All, I can say if you seen the model number on it,and it really is a KR-8400,GRAB IT.

That would be a 1 of 1!!

Firmed things up with the seller this morning. The wife and I will head out Sunday morning....it's about 45 minutes one way.

Looking forward to meeting the guy, as stated earlier, he is a "nice guy".

I'll post what I end up with.....I had told him to dig out any "monster receivers" he might have.....he runs a salvage yard. :)

Firmed things up with the seller this morning. The wife and I will head out Sunday morning....it's about 45 minutes one way.

I'll post what I end up with.....I had told him to dig out any "monster receivers" he might have.....he runs a salvage yard. :)

Yes, the same guy. I will back out. He as well sent me another email today (saturday) saying the same thing for Sunday. I guess covering his base's if no one shows.

Don't you have enough receivers!

Save some for us. :yes: :D

Hope you get that 9400

Reporting back: Confirmed 9400.

I told him as soon as he set it down if front of me.

He apologized......ummm, apology accepted?

Unit powered up, no sound from speakers, about an hour later....yes, an hour....flipped the speaker selector switch to "C" and voila, sound!

OK, sold, at the price advertised.

Looked at other "things", and will PM AK member goinslow so he has first dibs on them.....I think he will be happy. :)

Reporting back: Confirmed 9400.

I told him as soon as he set it down if front of me.

He apologized......ummm, apology accepted?

Unit powered up, no sound from speakers, about an hour later....yes, an hour....flipped the speaker selector switch to "C" and voila, sound!

OK, sold, at the price advertised.

Looked at other "things", and will PM AK member goinslow so he has first dibs on them.....I think he will be happy. :)

Thank you for the PM. My eyesight must be going bad. It looked like 8400, but you have confirmed that it was and is in fact a 9400, and if I remember correctly, a real good price. Hopefully it will clean up nice, and you can get the A+B speaker switches figured out. Congrats on the pickup.

another PM sent....yes a,b, & c working now

I had made copies of his pictures from his ad and compared them to the "face" of a 9400. All buttons and switches matched. I was fairly confident it was a 9400 before contacting him. :)

all cleaned up

A pic of the 9400 after getting it as clean as it's going to get. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom