1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Kenwood KR 9000 GX

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Curly_Racks, Nov 19, 2018.

?

Is it cool to be a jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Curly_Racks

Curly_Racks New Member

So, I just picked up one of these bad boys and have been reading all of the threads on here to educate myself.

Sounds like these pack 80 to 85 watts per channel or even more in some tests.

They were a military exclusive model and are the Euro version of the Model Nine series.

I’d love to hear stories of anyone else’s journey who recently acquired one. What steps did you take and parts did you review when first cleaning up?

From what I can see these seem more rare than the Elevens so any support or place I could find the Owners Manual or MSRP info would be awesome.

I’ve already located the Service Manual for the Nine GX.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Looks great if the timer works you have something.

Curly_Racks likes this.
  3. Curly_Racks

Curly_Racks New Member

Thanks guys - I will share some analysis once I have time to test it out after the Thanksgiving weekend

4. Curly_Racks

Curly_Racks New Member

Starting to clean it up.

Blew out a ton of dust with the compressor now starting with some CRC then DeOxit.

Attached Files:

5. Curly_Racks

Curly_Racks New Member

So far I have done the following:
    Blew out with a compressor
    Cleaned the boards and pots with CRC Contact Cleaner
    Cleaned and worked the pots with DeOxit D5
    Cleaned switches with D5

Tested the speaker connections and volume controls. No crackling - sounds great

I plan to remove the knobs and squirt in a little CRC 226 to Re lube everything

Should I have any concerns about cleaning the copper on the bottom of the power supply? It looks a little ...discolored but then again that could be normal for copper.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

6. rickl

rickl Active Member

I'd leave it along. It is 40 years old so you might need to do some maintenance in the future. Just enjoy it.

Curly_Racks likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.