Kenwood kr9600 with dead right channel only on fm

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by pipefighter7, Feb 27, 2013.

1. pipefighter7

pipefighter7 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey guys. Im not new to ak but new to posting. Shy i guess. Ive searched and searched and cant find a similar situation. I picked up a beast of a unit (kenwood kr9600)that was beat all up so didnt expect much but opened er up ,cleaned all the pots and switches and low and behold everything worked with one exception. The right channel is extremely low only on fm. Am is good,phono,tape aux etc both channels work and sound very good but when i switch to fm i lose the right channel. I am by no means a tech. If its something visible i can usually fix it but troubleshooting with a meter im novice at best. Both watt meters work but its the same story , when i turn it to fm the gauge goes dead to. Both work in mono but i think theyre sharing the left channel when i switch to mono and when i switch to reverse the right plays and left gos dead. Ive been reading for a long time so i figured id jump in and post. Id like to thank the hundreds and hundreds of guys that have posted threads that have been very helpful and all the guys and gals that make a site like this possible. Any help is greatly apreciated. Thank you
    Mike P

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

Since the problem only occurs on FM, I'd start checking parts in the MPX circuitry. I had the same problem with a Sansui 3000A. Turned out to be a couple of toasted transistors.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. EchoWars

EchoWars Hiding in Honduras

The composite signal is sent to the HA-1196 MPX chip, which is then decoded and sent through two separate low pass filters and then on to an opamp for the FM audio output. Suspects are the HA-1196 IC, the filters, or the opamp.

This assumes that the signal isn't being lost at the input selector switch

4. SicMan

SicMan Fire up those speakers Subscriber

It's broke .. send it to me .. I'll dispose of it properly ... those damn 9600's !

my address is ... shffhfjqhfhqkf

sorry couldn't resist .. EW hit the nail on the head .. check it out.

John M

5. pipefighter7

pipefighter7 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks guys. Most of that reads like greek lol but i have a friend locally that i think will understand it. I was using the 9600 to drive my fronts off the preamp of my ht receiver and during a long movie popping sounds started coming from the right channel but the movie sound was dead. I let it cool down and now it seems to work fine so im hoping it just overheated in which i have a muffin fan i can put on top of it. I seen those low pass filters but nothing else on the board looks suspect or anything so ill carry the beast to my buddies for further inspection. Thanks a million
    Mike Powers

6. EchoWars

EchoWars Hiding in Honduras

A scope would narrow down the issue in short order.

Please register to disable this ad.