Kenwood KT-5020 score

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by brillcat, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. brillcat

brillcat Active Member

After years of looking for steals at GW, my ship finally came in. Sitting on the shelf under 3 DVD players was a KT-5020 for $7.95... (rated #10 out of 84 at FMtunerinfo.com). Some minor scuffing on the cabinet and some sticky stuff here and there, but it looked super clean otherwise. I plugged it in when I got home and everything works -- lights/display, buttons, you name it. Opened it up and there was no discoloration or indication of any corrosion. I've run it through the paces with a dipole and it grabs all my favorite stations. Tomorrow I'll hook it up to the roof antenna and see how it does... I am still surprised at my good luck.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Dave_1962 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Excellent work brillcat!
    excellent-mr-burns.gif

3. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

Uh oh, it seems I saw a Kenwood tuner a couple of days ago that looked like that and passed it up as junk, I didn't know, I'd better check tomorrow. If it looks new, it's tossed in with all the other junk. I got lucky once that way with a Yamaha A-1 amplifier, haha, that was a fun day as well, I can relate, I still feel good about it today, congrats.

4. brillcat

brillcat Active Member

Well I can confirm this is fine-sounding tuner, no doubt about it. It is very quiet in the background, but has a lot of presence in the stereo broadcasts. I have a rooftop antenna and am easily picking up stations about 60 miles away. I think I'll keep it in the rotation for awhile :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  5. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

I was wondering if you live in my neck of the woods but you don't. The one I saw in a store here was grabbed. I love antennas, free air! I saw one with the hood up and was surprised to see there is not much under there, I wonder how they succeeded in making it one of the better ones, and why they don't do it more.