Kenwood KT-5500

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by charles64, Oct 20, 2009.

1. charles64

charles64 reVox reGret

Picked up this simple,though well made looking vintage tuner. Does anybody know about this Kenwood KT-5500? Haven't had the chance to check it out yet but I know Kenwood has a loyal following around here. (Pic's later)

2. Urizen

Urizen Lunatic Member

3. thedelihaus

thedelihaus Nocturnal transmissions

I owned one. A nice performer.

The 7500 is a great performer easily modified for fantastic performance.

4. aileenamegan

aileenamegan Super Member

In fact a fine tuner for beginners. Better than his competitors at that time. Brother - with gun metallic front - is the KT5550.

Smallest one is the KT5300.

The series continues with KT6500/KT6550, KT 7500/7550, KT 8500/KT8550.

5. Old_Tech

Old_Tech Yer-isn't!

Its a nice tuner Kenwood had several top performers in that series.

6. aileenamegan

aileenamegan Super Member

In fact, I have most of them - except the KT917.

7. DoctorLondom

DoctorLondom New Member

I have a KT-5500 and I figured this may be a good place to ask rather than starting a new thread.

When I first got it, it worked fine, every aspect. However, recently it will only receive FM in mono and the "stereo" light never illuminates, even with the signal strength maxed out.

I find that there are certain spots on the tuning where it will illuminate briefly. However, there are no stations or any type of signal at these spots!

I am guessing some type of alignment or calibration inside is out of spec. What would you all recommend I do to remedy this? I consider myself competent with electronics but I do not have any special tuning equipment that I have been reading about here.

8. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

I have a KT-5500, and am not too impressed with it. I have been enjoying the superb tuner in my Luxman receiver.

9. DoctorLondom

DoctorLondom New Member

Just replying to say I've fixed my issue. I tweaked the rightmost trimpot on the PCB and immediately the FM Stereo light illuminated. It was just dirty. I'm sure some Deoxit would have done the job just as well.

8xlaxx likes this.
  10. yardanimal

yardanimal Active Member

If you are still there, thank you doctor london. It worked for me. Contact cleaner on the rightmost trimpot was not enough, it had to be tweaked.

11. bernouski

bernouski Active Member

hello all i just purchased a Kt5500 on ebay for $35 bucks and its in great condition.

i was wondering if the modification list on this link is optimal to make this tuner compete with the big dogs.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/DIY.html

i have my vintage stereo repair guy on the job as we speak.

12. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

Reviving this old thread,...

Which pot are you referrring to that you cleaned and tweaked? A recently purchased KT-5500 that I have is showing the same symptoms.

Thank you.

:needpics: