Kenwood KW-60 - Reclaiming the Mouse House

WillRobinson

Good evening!
I recently saw an ad on CL for a group of stereo components, mostly Sony gear from the '90s, but among the pictures was an intriguing looking receiver peeking out from a wooden console. I could tell Immediately that it was an early tube Kenwood, although unsure of the exact model. From what I could see it looked to be in fair shape, and the seller had a very reasonable price, so I contacted him and went to have a look.
As soon as I stepped in the house it was obvious that it had been uninhabited for a long while, and it was beginning to deteriorate in areas. The seller said it was his deceased father-in-law's house that he was trying to empty out.
So he leads me to the wooden stereo console and I open it up to see the Kenwood, which I can now see is a model KW-60. It is mounted in the console so that only the front face is visible, and from what I could see it was in Ok condition it had some obvious wear and a one broken switch, but no deal killers. Then I open up the back of the console to remove the receiver and saw IT, what looks like an abandoned mouse hotel, large nests of paper, wood chips, carpet, even shredded cassette tape, and were using the KW-60 as a penthouse! Luckily the receiver was not difficult to remove so I didn't have to dig though that much petrified rodent crud to free it.
After inspecting it out of the console I could now see that the condition was truly abysmal, I have never seen such an example of the corrosive nature of mouse urine. I thought about leaving it and just driving home, but I knew it would have ended up in the garbage can as soon as I left. So I made him an appropriate offer which he gladly accepted.

So here is my next project, one ray of sunshine is that the mice didn't get into the lower section of the chassis, it is actually surprisingly clean under there. Anyway, where's the Bleach?
IMG_20190122_104655.jpg
IMG_20190122_105126.jpg
IMG_20190122_105238.jpg
IMG_20190122_105320.jpg
IMG_20190122_105721.jpg
IMG_20190122_105913.jpg
IMG_20190122_130029.jpg

I hope you will continue to document your rebuild. I've done a lot of tube gear and the rebuild process is similar but different from rebuilding SS gear. Plus voltages are a higher.

If you plan to send it out, I'd suggest you find someone that will work on tube *audio* gear not guitar amps. I have a friend that gets many guitar amps each week and anything hifi gets ignored (unless he sends them my way).

Either way, I'd suggest cleaning it up before you do anything else. You and your tech will appreciate it. Be careful with the tubes, some of the tube lettering is fragile and will rub off.

Other projects have been taking priority lately, I have the KW-60 disassembled to nearly a bare chassis, spent quite a while cleaning the rust/crud off of the metal, next up is painting the chassis and then start the reassembley process. Don't know exactly when that will be though, so I'll just say "Soon!". :biggrin:

Was just admiring member “Mr.Whites” KW-60 last week on another thread. It always blows me away to open up one of those old (pre-pc board) receivers and look at the controlled chaos inside. These things were purely hand-made one-by-one. Amazing! You’re going to have a very cool unit when you’re done!

I’ve got a bu-60, an early 60s hybrid SS and tube model (Made for the Japan/European market). Same kind of case, but yours has a lot more sex appeal with the dual tuners and lights!

Great find on the KW-60! I have a couple of tube Kenwoods/Trio's that need some TLC. Will be following this thread for sure:D

The stumbling block for resto on these period pieces seems to be with worn loudness pots. I've a Kenny and Sansui still dead in the water potless.

Back
Top Bottom