No, but I think that there are a few in these amps that are known to cause noise issues within the circuit. I forget where I read it. I'll keep you posted.

Those pesky moderators.
Just received the pair of L-07Ms that was selling in BarterTown.
Recap and install an IEC power plug and new speaker terminals as soon as the parts arrive.
Why bother with an IEC power connector? It's not going to improve the sound, the factory cord was put there for a reason. Also what wrong with the speaker terminals? Seems like you are making more work out of it than necessary. I own 4 of these btw.

Why bother with an IEC power connector? It's not going to improve the sound, the factory cord was put there for a reason. Also what wrong with the speaker terminals? Seems like you are making more work out of it than necessary. I own 4 of these btw.
Yes, because there were limited removable cords back then and the install of a removable cord required additional work and was more expensive.

I love the removable cords on gear. I move enough gear around that the ones that don't have an attached cord are such a pleasure to move compared to the rest where one needs to corral the cord before going anywhere. If the IEC was the standard back when gear was made it would have those connectors on them.

+1. What he said. If they had IEC connectors back in the day I feel sure all TOTL gear that era would have them.
I find it a pita to move gear around with the power cord still attached. Much easier to move without.

+1. What he said. If they had IEC connectors back in the day I feel sure all TOTL gear that era would have them.
I find it a pita to move gear around with the power cord still attached. Much easier to move without.
Any update on your newly acquired L-07M's?

We'll have to wait for Blue Shadow (Keith) to comment. He is actually doing the work (I'm only providing the funding).

One is a jigsaw puzzle going back together, with one bipolar cap getting ordered soon. The other is sitting all original until that first one is back together correctly and the cap comes in so I only go into that one once.

These were enjoyable as was. Looking forward to their sound all made new again with big honking power cords to replace those std 18Ga attached cords.

I dunno if I'm going to regret passing on a fellow AK member's offer of a pair of these bucket list amps, too many prospects on the list.

Yep........... gotta a pair of the newest, turbo-charged power cords waiting for them. 600hp, each. ;)
Mike has me building a power cord, gonna use that spendy WE wire, multiple pieces and hook them up to a pound of metal. 8.4 ounces on one end and 8.6 ounces on the other end. NEMA 15-P to IEC. swing that thing and someone could get hurt. I haven't built it yet but once dynoed it could be something

I dunno if I'm going to regret passing on a fellow AK member's offer of a pair of these bucket list amps, too many prospects on the list.

I picked up a pair of L-07m amps to see what is all the excitement. I sold a few things to fund the amps. If you buy right, you should be able to get your money back. At least that is what I'm telling myself.

I've only looked at the L-07M amps and if you do get a pair, I'd look closely at any assembly glue corrosion. Not difficult to fix but I had a few affected jumpers and resistors in each amp.

At Stereo Exchange in NYC ("Biggest Audio Store in the world") many of the salesmen used L-07Ms at home. This was early '90s. These guys knew every brand and the shelves were packed with high-end superstar stuff. When these Kenwoods came in used for resale, they never reached the floor. The staff nabbed them first.

At Stereo Exchange in NYC ("Biggest Audio Store in the world") many of the salesmen used L-07Ms at home. This was early '90s. These guys knew every brand and the shelves were packed with high-end superstar stuff. When these Kenwoods came in used for resale, they never reached the floor. The staff nabbed them first.
Wow! Very cool to know. Thanks for sharing!

In my Opinion the MK II Version is even the better one. More difficult to rebuild them up in these days but when they are "on air" again they realy still just great amps.
If i rebuild them i spend constant Current a source for the second and third differential Amp. This procedure ist a real big step forward! You could even make thes pimp on the MK I Version and these amps also get great step better.

In my Opinion the MK II Version is even the better one.
Although the Mk II seems to be an exercise in High Speed, Kenwood's sales hook back then, I don't think they would have decreased the sound quality making a new version and the II should sound just a bit better for those that like the high speed sound. I'll know what the first version sounds like in a couple weeks when the pair here are rebuilt and will get a chance to enjoy them before they go home. Home they sound as good as they are supposed to as they were excellent amps in their time.

I lusted after L-07s but couldn’t afford them as a youngster selling hifi for Pacific Stereo back in the ‘70s. Managed to buy 4 of them via eBay 15+ years ago. One pair of the original version and one pair of the M2. Couldn’t hear any difference driving my Infinity Quantum Juniors. Over the years, one of each type failed. Finally have gotten around to trying to get them going again thanks to contacts made here on Audiokarma! I was struggling to find anyone local to work on them. Hoping for a happy outcome now.

Still pinching myself that I found an M2 version on Audiogon that I took delivery on last week. $155 delivered! Woo hoo! It is very clean and sounds so fine. Much cheaper than I’ve found in ages. Still not sure how this one sat on Audiogon for almost 3 weeks. Hoping to eventually have 4 working to bi amp my Infinity Quantum 2s.

Back
Top Bottom