Kenwood model 11 recap

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Oscar23, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Oscar23

Oscar23 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I found this smelly Kenwood model 11. No cord, timer broken, lights dead FM output very low, volume pot siezed beyond repair, missing knobs and quite frankly very smelly ( this must have smoked two packs a day). Put a cord on it bypassed the timer and we had power and sound (very muddy sound)

Attached Files:

2. Oscar23

I started with the power supply. Very cooked. Replaced caps, qk1(2sc1419 with bd239),rk4,rk6, and dk3. Looks much better now. All voltages are now up to spec on to the amp. Tons of glue on this thing to.

Attached Files:

3. Oscar23

I did the amp board today changed all caps and putting new trim pots in. Passed the dbt. Scrapped all glue off the board.

Attached Files:

4. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Active Member

Forward progress is always a motivator. Keep goin'! ...and if you have time, take a step back and have closer look (read: measure) at R1, 2, 3 & 5 on the PS board. Carbon composition resistors have a tendency to get quite a bit out of spec over time and heat. Otherwise, carry on. :thumbsup:

5. Oscar23

I took your advice and measured them they were out of spec like you said replaced all of them

6. Oscar23

The pre amp board was and adventure to get to has to remove the whole front part of the chassie. Quite the mess speaker selector board and switch board left hanging. Removed the volume pot.

Attached Files:

7. Oscar23

Tried again to get the volume pot to turn on its own no such luck. It was seized sold. Repaired the seized timer. Opened it up and added 3 in 1 oil and moved it slowly now turns freely. No to just fix the shaft.

8. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Active Member

Those red "tear drop" shaped caps on the preamp board are tantalum...film cap replacements might make a worthy upgrade. Lookin good!

9. Oscar23

10. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Active Member

11. Oscar23

Dijjikey does not have any 3.3 uf 10v I can 3.3uf 450 VDC

12. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Active Member

Use the next voltage size higher than 10V that's available...16V, 25V, 35V, 50V?

13. Oscar23

50 v is the next up

14. Oscar23

I have to wait for my volume pot to arrive I ordered a replacement so I took the time to clean the faceplace and all the boards while I had access to them.scrubbed all that nicotine off

Attached Files:

15. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Active Member

Those will work fine.