Kenwood model 9gx

I don't have the KA-9GX version, but I have the earlier KA-9X model. I bought my first one back in Germany in late 1982/early 1983 while in the Army. At the time, it was Kenwood's top of the line integrated amp in the PX catalog and in the military's audio clubs. I also bought the matching AM/FM tuner (KT-9X) and programmable turntable (KD-9X)... No 9X cassette deck, but they offered a 7X and a 5X deck... Had the KX-7X and sold it since I wasn't too happy with it or its performance.

I also picked up the matching GE-9X graphic equalizer from that series too.

I still like the classic looks of this series, but there isn't a very large following, IMHO, but still a gem if you ask me!! A very solid performer and built like a tank, adding to its years of durability. As for rebuilding, other than doing a detailed cleaning, I can't add anything to the conversation since I have no info in that area since my amp is still running like a champ. "BUT!!" This amp will be part of the first system that I plan to have cosmetically "fixed." What I mean by that is having the faceplate completely restored by filling some of the deep dings/scratches. Also, since it's original factory finish was a more matt/flat "frosted" silver than a brushed aluminum finish and can easily be done with an automobile paint product to reproduce a very close to the original factory finish.

BTW, I have a black finished Yamaha K-700 cassette deck and a CD-3 CD player, that will also be refinished at the same time since the K-700 and the CD-3 just looks right with the Kenwood units... Yamaha offered a silver version of both units, but they are harder to come by these days.

This "cosmetic correction" project is on hold until I can find somebody that can reproduce the original or VERY close to the original factory silk screen markings and redo the "brushed chrome" finish on the source selector buttons.

As for the "special" speaker cables that came with the amp I feel that it was more of a gimmick since I couldn't hear any difference with my speakers, which were a set of Infinity bookshelf speakers.

All I can say is that this is a keeper along with my other two retro systems, which are built around the mid 70s Pioneer SA-8500 integrated amp and the late 80s Yamaha MX/CX-1000 amps.

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom