Kenwood or Sony or Philips CDP ??

TBL_HK

Hi All,

I was looking to buy a CDP that can handle CD-R and CD-RW in my study room.

And a a thrift store I noticed the following:

SONY - ES series

Kenwoord - CDP 5020

Philips 720

Which one is the best sounding? Which one(s) fit(s) my CD-R(W) requirement?

Thanks!

Sony ES series is a pretty hefty cathegory... look for something that starts with a 3, (X333, 33, 39, 339, 303, 3, etc), 1990 or later build.

Agree ...hunt a nice Esprit down, if the laser-unit track well ...CPD-55ES and its big brother CPD-77ES you shouldnt be negilegted... they both do sound nice...and incredible good, if few caps is added at the right locations :yes:

TBL_HK,
ditto - go for an ES. Secure yourself a spare optical block and you'll be happy for a fair 10 years.
The blocks are nowadays easier to find for the smaller X33 / 333 /303 than for the bigger "7" series for which nothing is available anymore... Don't wait too long, though.

PMik,
ES isn't ESPRIT.
but great players just the same :)

I finally got to buy a new Philips DVP-720SA, a 2004 mid year model. After all, laser heads do have limited lifespan. SO buying new ones that have universal CD/DVD support is a good bet to me.

Anyway, I didn't listen to it before I handed over money. I had tried to buy Pioneer DV-578A, (SACD, DVD-A, DVD MP3 and WMA ...), but ended up with this one.

This Philips actually sounds good with CD, with better tone and foundstage and detail than my Alchemist DAC (24/192 upsampling) plus a generic cheap Korean DVD player palying music CDs.

I think this Philips has very extended bass, balanced trebles with much detail.

Anyway, gotta go to bed now. I'll post more of my first impression later.

Ciao!

axel said:
TBL_HK,
ditto - go for an ES. Secure yourself a spare optical block and you'll be happy for a fair 10 years.
The blocks are nowadays easier to find for the smaller X33 / 333 /303 than for the bigger "7" series for which nothing is available anymore... Don't wait too long, though.

PMik,
ES isn't ESPRIT.
but great players just the same :)

I've had good luck with Sony ES players and like the sound. How does my CDP-C85ES fit into these families?

X

Punker,

If I'm not mistaken, CDP-C85ES = CDP-C75ES = CDP-C705, depending on the market.
1990 vintage, therefore contemporary of the X33ES / X55ES / X77ES.

I have a lot of lit' on the later C87ES (1991, aka CDPC77ES and CDPC715) but unfortunately nothing on the C85ES (offhand - can search if you want me to). But, one the Sony timeline, ES-wise, the '89/92 years are the real good ones.

However, I've never seen or heard any changers (Sony or not) as these are a rare item in Europe...

While older Sony ES cdp's spec well, they are not up to speed with todays cdp's better DAC's and clocks. As for changers, the biggest problem is vibration which can cause the disk to skip. Serious isolation devices will help.

Back
Top Bottom