Kenwood Power Meters

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Dave47, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Dave47

Dave47 New Member

I have a number of Kenwood integrated amplifiers from the late 70s. One of the nice features of many of them is that they have analog power meters. However just as many do not have them. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of why some models in the same line would have meters and some would not. For example:
    circa 1978 - KA-5700 40 WPC has meters
    - KA-6100 50 WPC has meters
    - KA-7100 60 WPC no meters
    - KA-8100 75 WPC no meters
    - KA-9100 90 WPC has meters.

It couldn't simply be room. I have a 7100 and I believe they easily could have eliminated some knobs (stereo, reverse for one) or even switched to toggle switches to get the required space.

This of course doesn't matter but it does raise my curiosity.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

My guess would be to meet a certain price point and meters do cost.

3. Dave47

Dave47 New Member

True. But so do knobs and switches and the 7100 seems to have a few that are unnecessary (IMO) and could be eliminated in favour of meters. The entry level 5700 and 6100 both have meters.

I am just pondering the lack of consistency across models at all prince points?

4. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

My take on power level meters, and this is from someone who owns an amp with big meters is that they are pretty much eye candy. I almost never look at what mine are reading although I sure do like how they make my amp look!

5. turboyam

turboyam The Kenwood fan!

Well, they had 2 chances of selling an amp to ya; the ones wanting eye candy, with simpler (potentially better sounding) models, OR, more sofesticated sound controls. Your choice. I like both!