Kenwood SA-5200 Need to PUMP the volume briefly to get output

roehlerich

STOMP THE EXPERTS: Never seen this before. I need to kick the volume up to about 25% for both channels to kick in. When I drop the volume back down to about 10% either channel could drop off. If i TAP the case, it would come back. If I TAP the case either channel will also drop off. So I think its a lose connection or cold solder somewhere. I already redid the 4 power transistors and cleaned the heck out of the pods and switches.
Any thoughts?

symptoms of the output relay asking for replacement, does this unit have one?

Oh spell check on the manufacturer/model number please.

Like an ice cube with a solenoid and some levers in it with a few wires.

Right there on the amp board. clear cover 1"x1.5"x1.25" or so. Might be a few known to get noisy transistor I would swap out while it is under the soldering iron.

Post the info on the relay and someone should help find a replacement if available (most are). Let us know if you need help on that. They aren't hard if you have access to the bottom solder side of the board.

Last edited:
You guys DID IT! I pulled it out and sprayed some DEOXIT along the contacts and cleaned with a business card. Seems to work now at very low volume right out of the gate. I will let it cool off from the solder. Maybe it will revert back to failing.

It is like points on the distributor of some cars. If the contacts look great no pitting then taking a business card and getting it wet with deoxit or other cleaner and getting all the dirt off the contacts will work for a varying amount of time. I'm doing well with some I've cleaned. But on higher powered units the contacts can be burned from arcing and replacement is required.

For an easy access relay like yours, giving it a cleaning without flooding it with chemicals, is worth a try and if the problem happens again you order a relay But on a customer unit you replace the relay, you don't want a return for a ten buck part.

There was no pitting on the contacts. Could not get that damn cover off without soldering it out the board first. Where would I get a new one? I have no good sources for vintage parts like this.

Where would I get a new one? I have no good sources for vintage parts like this.
But you want a NEW part not a vintage part. Mouser or digikey are the usual sources. Digikey has free ship if you send a check with order and add the tax. Cheaper even when you add the stamp than the mouser shipping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom