Kenwood speakers.

Pops110

Hi all, I'm after people's thoughts on vintage Kenwood speakers, are there any that sound decent? Some look pretty cool but I imagine they sound average at best. They are to partner my KA-6100 that Pete Mac recapped, there's a thread on here somewhere and my KT-7300. Thanks guys.
Cheers Dave.

(is it possible to upload pictures from an iPhone onto threads? I'm having a hard time doing it)

My only experience with the Kenwood Speakers is the KL-777x-888X-999Z X etc. These are average speakers and make great party speakers and They can take a beating. Cost is low too. The other models of Kenwoods I haven't heard.
Not my cup of tea speakers.
I use Infinities QLS series and JBL's with my Kenwood gear. The 6100 and 7300 will drive the infinities but there is not enough power in those to handle the big Infinities. JBL's on the other hand are more effiecient. Although everyone has a different taste in listenning needs so you would need to hear some different types of speakers and go from there.
my 0.02

John M

I have a pair of LS-408A speakers that I bought new. For awhile I saw them being sold for about $40 locally. Regret not getting another pair. They will need to be refoamed if not already.

There is another AK member who is quite a fan of this series.

Thanks for the replys, I have a set of Jamo's from the early 90's, they cost me about $1500 back then, so they are pretty decent and sound really good with the Kenwoods and play station 1 as cd player. I was just hoping I could find a Kenwood speaker of the same vintage that would sound as good as the Jamo's.

Cheers Dave.

There are a few totl that sound good. You can pretty much tell by the weight. The later cheapos looked big but weighed nothing.

Kahoona can you name some model numbers? I'm a bit of a novice at the whole vintage thing, but I know I'm enjoying my vintage rig more than my main rig at the moment. Things might change when I get my new amp but vintage rocks at the moment.
Cheers Dave.

I have heard quite a lot Kenwood speakers over the years. And although I'm a Kenwood fan - they never had good speakers, really good speakers. Only model LS-1900 which is seldom and expensive.
At least I know the models from the early Seventies to the Mid-Eighties.
For parties and loud music is fine - but not for ambitious and natural listening.

Ahem, Kenwood DID have good speakers, excellent, I might add. Finding the right ones can prove difficult and test your patience. The ones you want to look for are the line that were designed directly from the Model Seven, beginning with the LS-400 Series. Models are as follows, LS-403, LS-405 & LS-406 that were first advertised alongside the Seven, then they were followed by the LS-403A, LS-405A, LS-407A, & LS-408A. Further refinements lead to the "A" becoming a "B", with LS-404B, LS-405B, LS-407B & LS-408B, and the last being the "C", with LS-405C, LS-407C & LS-408C. Then Kenwood Japan turned out the LS-1200/1500/1700/1900, and also the LS-660/770/880/990. All I mentioned here are getting very hard to find these days, even more difficult to find while still wearing original drivers. It all started with these 130 lb Behemoths in 1975, and ended by 1982.
Picture636.jpg

I have heard quite a lot Kenwood speakers over the years. And although I'm a Kenwood fan - they never had good speakers, really good speakers. Only model LS-1900 which is seldom and expensive.
At least I know the models from the early Seventies to the Mid-Eighties.
For parties and loud music is fine - but not for ambitious and natural listening.

You obviously haven't ever heard a pair of Kenwood LS-1800's through a hi-end,big wattage tube amp via hi-quality source,such as an NEC CD-903... they're simply astounding! Afterall,they were made to match such amazing gems as the L-02T tuner and L-07D DD (with a 1981 $2,160.00 price tag to more-or-less match).

But they need hi-quality amplification with lot's of power (also room space) to be at their best as they're very neutral sounding speakers that weigh an absolute ton!

Last edited:
I realize this is a very old post but need some help with my kenwood speaker experts.
Can anyone tell me about
Vintage-Trio-SC400-Speakers-Tri-ampable claims they are comparable with jbl 300?
They are local so no shipping and I can hear before I buy.
Can you help me with a decent price to pay?
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom