kenwood speakers

aje123

hey all, picked up some garage speakers.Kenwood ks-h31 100watt 8 ohms.They sound pretty good with a low watt reciever,not perfect but good for what they are.
Best thing i like is that they dont have foam surrounds to rot.They are like the cheaper early 70's speaker surrounds that last forever. just my thoughts. I cant stop buying stuff. Thank You

I picked up a set of LS770's for $60. Myself and anyone who has heard them have been impressed. So much so my friend Katie has them now and loves them more than anything she's ever heard and she's deaf, true story.

I picked up a set of LS770's for $60. Myself and anyone who has heard them have been impressed. So much so my friend Katie has them now and loves them more than anything she's ever heard and she's deaf, true story.

I'd never seen the LS770s before, but I love the coaxial design. (I'm assuming these are the one's you are referring to:

kenwood-ls-770-mk-ii_l.jpg

Apparently, there was another version of the 770, as well:

kenwood1_245466.jpg

Seems odd that Kenwood would use the same model number for speakers that are so different in design.

Which one of these do you own?

GeeDeeEmm

I was referring to the coaxe design, I had the earlier ones that I feel look better. After Katie her husband and I listened to six pair of speakers we came to the conclusion her sensitivity to time alignment is much greater than ours. She liked the point source speakers and the LS770's the most. She couldn't take 3 bars of Snell EIII's which have a hugely offset tweeter as well as the one in the back. It's funny I recently played her some music through a set of Bose 901's and she had her hands up looking all around the room like (WTF). She doesn't have a clue what's going on behind the grills which makes it that much funnier.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the way those look. Oddly, HiFiEngine does not list any specifications other than this short blurb:

"Kenwood LS-770
Coaxial system equipped with 10" speaker paper cone, a 1" compression tweeter and a passive speaker for low frequency." Is there a specification sticker on the back of the boxes?

I figured that the bottom unit is a passive radiator, but I also thought that those must be 12" units. How about a summary on how they sound to you? Such as:

- How's the bass response?
- Does the coaxial horn integrate well with the rest of the system?
- Any estimation on the crossover point?
- The horn driver is derived from the primary magnet, is that correct?
- How do the mids hold up in this configuration?
- How far would you say that the horns extend into the UHF spectrum?

I'm a bit fascinated by these. Would love to find some locally.

GeeDeeEmm

The crossover point is 4000hz which seems high for a 10. Both drivers have a 12db crossover configuration. The surrounds I tthink are treated linen.
All the fasteners use T nuts and the cabs seem solid.
These speakers image like crazy and are efficient, I was using them with a Fisher 460a (12w) and it was all that was needed in about 400sq ft. The bass responce was good not super low but enough. My JBL Lancer 77's have a better low end responce but the Kenwoods over all sound much better.
The horn is a stand alone mounted in the center.
The passive is on the bottom and apparently had different weights to tune to your liking.
I would buy evey pair I come across and would love to hear these in a large transmission line cab, they are a sleeper of a deal.
These will be paired with a Sansui 1000a when they finish their house. They will be on black tulip stands layed on there side with the woofer rotated so the horn is in the correct position.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nice looking speakers! Wonder what an experiment would sound like with the woofer rotated 90 so as to put the horn on the vertical plain such as E-V does with their TRX triax drivers.

Pictures 3 and 5 make it fairly certain that the tweeter is a bullet tweeter, and that's probably why the crossover point is so high. I've been searching for a super tweeter for my current build, and the majority of bullets have a suggested crossover point of 3500Hz.

Thanks for the extra information.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom