Kenwood turn on relay

http://www.relaycenter.com

Edit: Didn't mean to be so short...the relays that this old gear uses are tough to buy...not tough to see who makes 'em, because a lot of companies make them, but they want you to buy a few hundred.

The problem is that these are PC-board mount. The much easier to find socket or solder tab are much more common in the industry...

One of the guys (and I can't remember who) fought this battle finding a replacement for a 3PDT relay for a Sansui:
Omron spec sheet for the MY relays. It breaks down the part number. The "02" in the part number indicates the pin type. The part number for this relay is MY3-02-DC24. It breaks down to
MY = type
3 = 3 pole (double throw) 4 = 4 pole (double throw)
02 = PCB pins
DC24 = coil voltage

The original relay is MY3-02-AU-Y96. AU is the chemical symbol for gold so I'm guessing that refers to the contact plating. I don't see any references to the AU or Y96 in the current Omron MY spec sheet.
Most Kenwood gear uses a 4PDT relay at 24V, which would be MY4-02-DC24 in an Omron number (and I don't see any gain by buying a cheap relay...stick with an Omron).

I do believe the Relay Center has a minimum order. If you have to buy 4 or 5 of these Omron MY4 relays, let me know...I may be interested in taking the extras off your hands.

Last edited:
I'll take the cover off and see if the relay has any printing on it. Another 7100 I had did, but I thought I'd check the one that actually needed the part.

Omron Relay

I would try mouser.com, they are nice to deal with and have lots and lots of relay's or go to Omrons web site and download their selection guide and match one up...oeiweb.omron.com.

Steve
www.acmepas.com

When I saw your post, I realized I hadn't tried Mouser for relays (I rarely order from them...they're too slow and I can't ever find what I'm looking for in their flaky online catalog).

Since I know the number of the Omron relays (and I listed the Omron number above in my first post), I decided to see what Mouser had. Sure enough, they don't carry one bloody PC-mount relay from Omron (of course, neither does Digikey :worried: ).

Bloody hell...

Still, I'd love to get a good half a dozen of them, so I'll likely order 'em from the Relay Center.

Hey:
The Omron relay MY4-02-DC24 is available from www.nteinc.com or 1 800 631 1250 as p/n R12-17D3-24P, from their R12 series relays.
It looks like you can cut the unneeded pins from a 4pdt and use it for the Kenwood.
The MY3-02-DC24 may also be available from Allied Electronics, 800 433 5700 or www.alliedelec.com a MY4DC24 is avail stock number 821-6018 for $5.63 ea. per their 05 catalog ppg 839. You must call them for the relay needed as they say to call for other apps.
Hope tis helps
Ed

Not all MY4 relays are the same.

edlipman said:
Hey:
The Omron relay MY4-02-DC24 is available from www.nteinc.com or 1 800 631 1250 as p/n R12-17D3-24P, from their R12 series relays.
It looks like you can cut the unneeded pins from a 4pdt and use it for the Kenwood.
The MY3-02-DC24 may also be available from Allied Electronics, 800 433 5700 or www.alliedelec.com a MY4DC24 is avail stock number 821-6018 for $5.63 ea. per their 05 catalog ppg 839. You must call them for the relay needed as they say to call for other apps.
Hope tis helps
Ed
The NTE relay referenced is their replacement of the Omron relay. You roll the dice and take your chances. The MY4 relay listed in the Allied catalog is probably not a PC mount. It does not reference the pin style and they do mention sockets so it is probably a lug type pin. They do mention that other configurations are available but they are probably special order. The pin spacing of the MY3 and MY4 relays are different. I don't think you can just clip off unused pins and still have it mount properly. I do have one new Omron MY4 relay left from my original order from the Relay Center. PM me if anyone is interested.

The Allied page does list PC mount LY2-02-DC24 relays. They are used in some of the big Sansui G series gear.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom