KG-4 question.

Fuzzbuster

Addicted Member
Hi all. New guy here. My friends call me Fuzz. I ended up with a mismatching pair of KG-4s. One is oak, the other walnut. Close serial numbers. The oak has the black cones, the walnut has the translucent cones. Bought them together at a small consignment shop. Anyone notice any sonic difference between the different cones?. Thanks, Fuzz

using the balance adjustment could alert you to major differences between the two different cones but your stereo information is not the same for left and right channels. You would need to switch speakers from left to right to pick up any smaller differences. If you got a good deal and you are happy don't worry if you are concerned get a new set of speakers or replace the woofers with a new matching pair. I vote for being happy. Congratulations on your Klipsch find. You are in the danger zone now my friend too many Klipsch and not enough time. All good for a good time.

using the balance adjustment could alert you to major differences between the two different cones but your stereo information is not the same for left and right channels. You would need to switch speakers from left to right to pick up any smaller differences. If you got a good deal and you are happy don't worry if you are concerned get a new set of speakers or replace the woofers with a new matching pair. I vote for being happy. Congratulations on your Klipsch find. You are in the danger zone now my friend too many Klipsch and not enough time. All good for a good time.
True on the balance knob, another option would be to swap the channels via the patch cables.

Hmmm...more good information. I could use the stereo reverse switch in conjunction with the balance. That would insure the same stereo information from each speaker, no?

Hmmm...more good information. I could use the stereo reverse switch in conjunction with the balance. That would insure the same stereo information from each speaker, no?
Yes that would switch channels for you but it is still not the answer. Switching channels at your amp or source will still leave you with the exact same room acoustics impacting each loudspeaker. You r room acoustics have a very much greater impact than any of your electronics do. In fact the differences you are hearing just might be totally or mostly room related. Swap the speakers and check for yourself.

I'd contact Klipsch and see if they know the answer.
If they dont, I'd open them and look at the crossover. If the components used have identical values, there is a good chance that the speakers will perform the same.
If you are worried about it, you can always swap two drivers and make the driver compliment match.
Then they will sound alike, no matter what.

fuzz, just play a mono cd or lp, same sound out of both spkrs. Also, get the spkrs 18" off the floor.

ipod, tablet, phone, pc, anything that can play a youtube video of different frequencies or run an app for the same. 1/8" jack to stereo RCA connection cable into your rig and voilà. good for testing all kinds of things.

Back
Top Bottom