KG-4s Need some advice

Fatuncle

I recently picked up a set of KG-4s on Barter Town at a very attractive price and as a bonus got to meet AKer Steve Vesci who even personally delivered them.

They are 1990 vintage, in very nice shape, it is obvious they have been cared for over the years.

The seller said they are completely original so no new crossover caps or diaphragms.

This is my 1st pair of Klipsch speakers and I am trying to understand them better to see if they will work for me. I know that the “Klipsch SOUND” apparently is not for everyone. I am using them with a Magnavox 9300 with all of Dave Gillespie’s mods except the New OPT’s. My unit still has the factory OPTs.

The only thing I have to compare them against is set of self-built Full Range speakers using older Audio Nirvana 8” (ferrite mags) in simple 1.3 Reflex box. The high end of the KG-4s is certainly more detailed and bright but the mid bass seems muddled sort of claustrophobic.

My understanding is the sound of these speakers is very placement dependent.

Currently I have them about 8” from the wall about 6 feet apart sitting on top my other speakers about 25” off the ground (risers removed) . Unfortunately my placement options are very limited do to room Size, Shape, and Furniture constraints.

Should I think about replacing the caps in the crossovers to see if that helps or am I wasting my time do to my limited ability to move them around.

I appreciate any thoughts or comments

Try setting them on the floor with 2" blocks under the front to tilt them back. 6' apart might not be optimum, but if that's what you have, it will have to work. Might try 12" from the back wall, too.

With the constraints of your room, best to just move them around and see what works best.

Fat, tell us what you think it's missing. I've owned these, bass was awesome (same distance from wall), highs were spectacular, but compared to a 3-way I honestly thought the mids were lacking.

I also had a pair of 5hese. Mine sounded a little muddy until I replaced the diaphragms with the Crites diaphragms. Made a big difference, became very detailed

I'm going to recommend both crossover caps AND Crites diaphragms. You don't have to replace the entire crossover although Crites offers an upgraded crossover. Just put some good film caps in. At this age almost any audio cap will make them sound better!

Thank You all I have been listening to them for a few days and they do seem promising. While I think that do to my room constraints I will never get to fully realize their potential, I have decided to invest in the TI diaphragms and the crossover rebuild kits. Since they are in such nice shape I don't think I can lose.

Wow , I must be the minority because I have KG4's that I purchased brand new in 1988 and they sound incredible. I have them on their original risers and are about 15 -20 feet apart in a very large great room and approximately 8" from the wall and tilted back just slightly ( like the new Heresy III's ) combined with a Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer , the depth of bass is smooth , deep , rich and powerful when I want them to be , volume wise. Highs are bright ONLY when the volume level is so high , Anything would be fatiguing!! Love them and would replace them with a pair of Forte's or Cornwalls but that is it. Won't be happening anytime soon , it's been 30 years already!!

I liked my 4.2's until I put in the Crites diaphragms, and then I LOVED them. I didn't buy his xover kit so I can't comment on that. I did recap with decent films after 20 years of use. I'd like to do some other stuff - cabinet bracing for one. And maybe a fancier cap on the horn. But I digress.

Do report back how they sound with the upgrades and most importantly, Enjoy em! :thumbsup: :rockon:

Replacing caps and diaphragms will not do anything to affect the bass. Assuming all woofers are working, placement is your only option - but the good news is, it's cheaper than hardware. As previously noted, try them on the floor and a bit farther from the wall before attempting surgery. Play with the angle as well - at six feet apart they may even sound good toed out a hair.

Also consider where the first reflection is from each speaker (usually a side wall) and if those are not equidistant from the listening position, you can get muddied sound or at least a muddied soundstage.

True, placement and room effects have a much greater effect on bass than caps. But there is a cap in the bass section on this speaker, and people often report that bass seems tighter or cleaner after a recap. Probably because the crossover is sending things where they belong with the proper cap values. Still, though, placement is going to dominate with bass.

Back
Top Bottom