KG4 upgrade

The Crites crossover kits are not meant to be a sonic improvement on the original design. They are a direct replacement. If the caps in your speakers originally are fine, then you should notice no difference from the original to the replacement.

The Crites crossover kits are not meant to be a sonic improvement on the original design. They are a direct replacement. If the caps in your speakers originally are fine, then you should notice no difference from the original to the replacement.

Preventive maintenance, kind of like new plugs and wires in your older cars, usually fine when you change them but you still change them. That's how I look at it when doing speakers.

I think it was my KLF-20s - when I pulled the crossover, one of them was a KLF-30 XO.

I recapped mine (4.2's) with Daytons and might upgrade one of these days. I have not used Bob's crossover kits. I think he has an inductor replacement for the iron core one in the 4.2 IIRC.

I haven't done side by side tests but I can tell you a couple things. When I recapped my Klipsches, which I did a year earlier than the diaphragm upgrade, they did sound a bit better up top. The diaphragms however made a dramatic difference and I don't think it was the relative cost. Other AKers loved them, although, again, no side by side tests. The second thing I would say is that I have a pair of AR9 that I spent more restoring than the total I spent on the Klipsches by quite a bit, and I'm actually not thrilled with their top end. If I had a expectation bias, I would be saying these monsters are the best I've ever heard. But I'd be lying. The 4.2's with RussellC's Class A homebuilt amp is the best I've heard, at least with any of my own equipment.

Back
Top Bottom