1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

(KG4's) Recap or New x-overs ?

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by Kenny*G, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Kenny*G

Kenny*G AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wanting to do a recap on my KG4's, Crites sells a recap kit & complete new cross-overs. Is there really that noticeable of a difference doing the complete new cross-over instead of doing just the re-cap kit ? The cost is considerably more for new cross-overs, I don't mind spending the extra money if it's really worth it. Also, soldering isn't an issue for me so doing the re-cap kit isn't a problem. I already have the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, haven't installed them yet.

Parabellum27 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. moray james

moray james Super Member

the difference is going to be one of physical layout and you can replicate that yourself if you want for very little. The larger inductor is a nice touch but if you don't have a particularly high end rig you are not going to be blown away by it so that one is your call (that you can choose to upgrade later if you improve your system or just get curious). See the attached link. I would suggest that you remove the poly switch or if you want leave it in but short it out with a short length of copper wire. That way it will not be in the signal path and if you sell at some point and the owner is set on a stock network you take a side cutter and snip the shorting wire and you are back to stock easy peasy. The poly switch is going to chew up about 10 - 15% of your available sound quality and you just don't need it so long as you pay attention to the play back level and turn the level down when the speaker complains (that is going to be loud). I hope this helps, enjoy your KG.

https://community.klipsch.com/index...-titanium-drivers-and-new-crossover-networks/

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  3. Kenny*G

I'm leaning toward the new crossovers now, probably order them tomorrow. Right now I'm running these speakers & a pair of Chorus with a Pioneer SX980 but as soon as I get a couple small issues with my Kenwood KA-9100 corrected I will be using it.

moray james likes this.
  4. ThomasD.

ThomasD. AK Subscriber Subscriber

Recently installed new Ti diaphrams & Crites X/O's in my KG4's. Don't really have time or the experience to recap them myself. Did some intensive listening prior to the upgrades and afterwards. Found the Ti diaphrams much smoother and more detailed. The dual 8" woofs really tightened up with the new x/o's. The KG4's aren't as forward as my Quartets due I believe to the lack of a mid horn but there was a noticeable improvement across the spectrum with the upgrades. YMMV. Will be upgrading the Quartets similarly in the near future.

5. moray james

moray james Super Member

why don't you modify your Chorus into a Cornscala D. Your chorus is a better speaker than the KG though it wants a little more distance to integrate and the Chorus really like to have some power to drive it, a really solid 100 watts per channel or your average 200 plus watt per side box will get it done, they really come to life with some applied power the opposite of the Cornwall and a better speaker than the CW if you have the power. If you want to enjoy small set amps the Cornwall is the way to go. Good luck no matter what you do.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    musichal likes this.
  6. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

I just recapped my KG4 recently, I noticed an improvement in the mid range. I only replaced the single electrolytic on each, didn't touch anything else.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Kenny*G

I have the new Crites cross-overs & ti tweeter diaphragms for the KG4's, haven't had the chance to install them, maybe this weekend.

I panned to do new cross overs & ti tweeter diaphragms in the Chorus also. What is this Cornscala D modification you speak of ole wise one ? lol You definitely have my attention !

8. moray james

moray james Super Member