TheWolf82

Found two pairs of these locally. Really into KLH But haven’t owned a pair since my father had some years ago. These particular model sixes are the ones that are apoxied. I haven’t went to go check them out yet, but the owner says he’s the original owner, and they work great. There in beautiful shape, with the original grills and badges. No damage to the cabinets or anything. Hes asking 80 for all four Which I see is a pretty good deal. Just worried I’m going to have issues with them and they’ll turn into large paper weight since they’re not serviceable. Any thoughts?

They are great speakers. if you do buy them, in most cases these speakers could use new caps and woofer sealant application. The caps are a pain because you have to do it via removal of the rear plate and chipping out a bit of epoxy to access them. Best case of course is that everything works and you just need to buy a little sealant for the woofers. Buy the sealant from Vintage AR and avoid home brewing your own if at all possible.

Found two pairs of these locally. Really into KLH But haven’t owned a pair since my father had some years ago. These particular model sixes are the ones that are apoxied. I haven’t went to go check them out yet, but the owner says he’s the original owner, and they work great. There in beautiful shape, with the original grills and badges. No damage to the cabinets or anything. Hes asking 80 for all four Which I see is a pretty good deal. Just worried I’m going to have issues with them and they’ll turn into large paper weight since they’re not serviceable. Any thoughts?

Grab them and run. It's a steal. At that price, if you only needed one pair you could easily resell the other pair and make a profit.

Hard to beat these vintage 2-way speakers even with modern kit. Read up and you'll see what others are saying.

Run, don't let them get away! Once you have them send us the serial #'s and that should tell us a lot regarding if you'll need to get inside to put new caps in. The earlier ones have oil filled caps and still should be ok..If the tweets appear dead or are weak that's a good sign of faulty caps.

They are serviceable, with a bit more work than the later Sixes. There is a very recent thread about removing the front baffle, look over the klh threads from the last week or so.
Ok here it is:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.
They are serviceable, with a bit more work than the later Sixes. There is a very recent thread about removing the front baffle, look over the klh threads from the last week or so.
Ok here it is:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?posts/12227097/

Awesome thanks for pointing that out! I REALLY hope I don’t have to go down that road but if I do at least I have some direction.

Run, don't let them get away! Once you have them send us the serial #'s and that should tell us a lot regarding if you'll need to get inside to put new caps in. The earlier ones have oil filled caps and still should be ok..If the tweets appear dead or are weak that's a good sign of faulty caps.

I’m 100% getting them tomorrow. I actually have that info sir..The guy has been pretty good with providing info...he’s had them since new (supposedly). The serial numbers are 37964, 36369,125864, and 123701. He has the some of the original paperwork too.

There's a chance that the 37964 and 36369 could have the oil caps. I have heard they manufactured around 15K per year so that would put their production possibly early enough. Work the toggle switch on the back and see what kind of tweet output you get. If there's good output I'd leave the caps be. Unfortunately, the front grills are not removable so you'll have to break them out in order to get to the speaker surrounds for re-doping. yes, the re-doping is necessary. Very Necessary! They'll have noticeably better bass production after be re-doped. On my 6's I bought a sheet of 1/8" fiberboard at Lowes. Cut the replacement grills to size, cut out the circles to match up to the woofer and tweet, and bought some material at hobby lobby for the grill cloth, and Velcro to attach them to the cabinet. Was a Saturday morning project and cost me less than $20.

When you go pick them up find out if he's got an old quad receiver he wants to get rid of! :)

You are getting one of the best iconic classic speakers of all time! That deal is a no brainer.
When you meet with the seller, ask lots of questions. Get as much info and history about them as possible. Curious what he's been powering them with.
I've restored 7-8 sets of KLHs. I have a set of Sixs from 1963 I got from the original owner and got their story. They were basket cases, but are now like new. I had to go through the peanut brittle epoxy tub to access the crossovers, but it's very easy. The old epoxy is very brittle and breaks up easily.
Post pics when you can and have fun! When I had two sets of Sixs and had them stacked. They sounded incredible!
Cheers, Glenn

Last edited:
There's a chance that the 37964 and 36369 could have the oil caps. I have heard they manufactured around 15K per year so that would put their production possibly early enough. Work the toggle switch on the back and see what kind of tweet output you get. If there's good output I'd leave the caps be. Unfortunately, the front grills are not removable so you'll have to break them out in order to get to the speaker surrounds for re-doping. yes, the re-doping is necessary. Very Necessary! They'll have noticeably better bass production after be re-doped. On my 6's I bought a sheet of 1/8" fiberboard at Lowes. Cut the replacement grills to size, cut out the circles to match up to the woofer and tweet, and bought some material at hobby lobby for the grill cloth, and Velcro to attach them to the cabinet. Was a Saturday morning project and cost me less than $20.

When you go pick them up find out if he's got an old quad receiver he wants to get rid of! :)
You can also monitor fleabay for later model removable grills, which is what I have on mine. The original grills had been cut and removed before I got them. Made resealing the surrounds, and dust caps easy.

With those serial numbers it seems you probably have a set of early sealed speakers and possibly a set of later ones with the screw mounted drivers and removable grills. Is that true?

LOL I’ll definitely be seeing what else he has. If there’s any other gems there all let you all know. Re-doping will be happening for sure unless out of some amazing luck that’s recently been done or something. He’s told me a bit about the speakers including serial numbers, wood types of the cabinets, etc.

No unfortunately. But he seemed honest enough,. He swore they work great. Once I get settled I’ll explain the story and history on them. He didn’t have any other equipment for sale anymore unfortunately. He did have a Fisher 500B, Which was used to with these speakers...I’ll be back with more info later today

With those serial numbers it seems you probably have a set of early sealed speakers and possibly a set of later ones with the screw mounted drivers and removable grills. Is that true?
Not sure. I’ll be posting a lot of pictures later this evening.

You are getting one of the best iconic classic speakers of all time! That deal is a no brainer.
When you meet with the seller, ask lots of questions. Get as much info and history about them as possible. Curious what he's been powering them with.
I've restored 7-8 sets of KLHs. I have a set of Sixs from 1963 I got from the original owner and got their story. They were basket cases, but are now like new. I had to go through the peanut brittle epoxy tub to access the crossovers, but it's very easy. The old epoxy is very brittle and breaks up easily.
Post pics when you can and have fun! When I had two sets of Sixs and had them stacked. They sounded incredible!
Cheers, Glenn
Hey Glenn, I’ll have more info and pictures on them later but he told me that they were being powered by Fisher 500 B

Back
Top Bottom