Kind of Blue

A Truly Great LP!! Yes it helps a lot to be in the correct MOOD! However it is a (Milestone) pun intended for jazz and early Miles. JMHO I too have the 200G and an original Capitol 6 eyes.

Last edited:
One of my favorite albums, and I listen to it often. I have both the dual-layer SACD and the 50th Anniversary box set. Both sound great, though the record in the box set has a couple of ticks that shouldn't be on a new record. The bonus CD's in the box set are excellent.

First Post in this Forum.....

This album KoB was my first jazz album and I to bought it on the 200gram Classic Records. Sounds amazing and I was hooked on jazz I bought an original for $20 NZ as well couldn't let it slip by that cheap. It is so smooth, its even great if you have a headache. I highly recommend to all :yes:

Daza.

Shameless plug here: SoundStageDirect is giving away a copy of this very album, the Classic Records Quiex-SV release of Kind of Blue. If you haven't already done so, go to this thread, and enter in the usual fashion.

Great album, especially my SACD version. It's about as good as a vinyl press IMHO.

Both the SACD and the original six-eye LP have the hot distortion you can hear on the first track right at the beginning. I had a 70s reissue LP for years and was jarred when I first heard the SACD. When I got an original, I heard that smear on the first track as nature intended.

I've lost count of how many versions of this cd I have given away. It always seems to be on sale for $6.99 @ J&R here in the city. The largest selling jazz issue of all time. A must for any fan of the genre.

...For the folks who are new to jazz, this album is a good album for them to be introduced to Miles Davis, and jazz in general...

Well I am not so sure this is the best place to start. The reason is that acquiring and getting to know KOB as your first jazz album can put you on a quixotic quest to find other sessions that equal it, with generally disappointing outcomes.

There is a LOT of great, classic jazz out there, but KOB is in a class by itself...

My favorite Miles album (my avatar gives this away, probably).

Didn't know about the speed issue. Interesting.
The recent Columbia CD remaster is NOT what I hoped. The old purple one from the 1980s sounds much better.
I haven't gone out to grab the vinyl, as I bought the compact disc years ago and don't mind the CD's sound.

I think a lot depends on what you think jazz should be. I have always had a harder time with bebop than with cool jazz.

For someone just beginning, I believe they would like something like Gerry Mulligan's Night Lights or Brubecks Time Out, sort of a more gentle opening into the world of jazz.

These days I like most jazz and I would add Hancock's The Best of Herbie Hancock to the list of essential jazz . . . maybe Coltrane Soultrane too.

I don't know, I start getting tangled up when I try to say what constitutes a "must have album," there are just too many.:D

Kind of Blue is the first jazz album that I fell in love with.
It's now 17 years later (after I first heard it) and I still have just as much love for it, if not more.
It sticks to your soul and will never let go.

My copy of Kind of Blue is...well...kind of blue... :)

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom