Kind of pumped...for my EPI 100's

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
My neglected EPI 100's (first run), which are probably 40 years old, are getting a transplant. Now that they are playing the Pilot 246's music, I decided to upgrade the crossover and binding posts.

I ordered from Human Speakers.

acc004a-sm.jpg

Attachments

• P1060556.JPG
    P1060556.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 61
They are nice speakers; I have a pair with the the same setup from HS.

That ain't a crossover, that is a fullrange driver and a cheap HP fix for the tweeter. Maybe a real crossover can improve them?

Cool speakers though! I wish I had a pair!

That ain't a crossover, that is a fullrange driver and a cheap HP fix for the tweeter. Maybe a real crossover can improve them?

Cool speakers though! I wish I had a pair!
The EPI 100 HAS a "real crossover". The woofer relies on mechanical roll-off at the crossover point, and the tweeter is protected by a 10 uf capacitor. And it works a treat.

The EPI 100 HAS a "real crossover". The woofer relies on mechanical roll-off at the crossover point, and the tweeter is protected by a 10 uf capacitor. And it works a treat.

I'd be worried with a 6dB for a tweeter. But if it works, it works. Its been working for a bit now, so yea - they probably did it for a reason that is another except "save cost".

I would like to experiment with some miniDSP and some china amps, make a little "active" DSP crossover system.

I bought a pair of early EPI 100s, which are still in service at my mother's house, and my pair of M50s have seen daily use, not babied, since new, some 45 (46?) years ago. The tweeter is a singular little creature. The synergy between the tweeter and woofer has seldom been replicated, in the ensuing decades. The Reference 3a pairing springs to mind, and is one of my favourites among current builders of speakers.

In conversations with Winslow Burhoe, he said he spent the time and money in driver design, not with the goal of having a first-order crossover, but in making a pair of drivers that were 'made for each other', so to speak. The cost saving came in the choice of other parts for the build.

everyone should have a pair of Mr. Burhoe's loudspeakers -- any vintage would be fine, up to the present day (I believe he's still selling loudspeakers, at least bespoke ones).
They address the usual problems of loudspeaker design with a simple, elegant -- and successful -- approach.

http://directacoustics.com/

Win then

epi1000.gif

Win now (more or less):

winslowatsusie-236x300.jpg

The mighty EPI 1000! Our band had a pair of those. We never played in a space that couldn't be filled with sound from those.

The Direct Acoustics speakers, called Silent Sound 2, are being made and sold by Huw Powell, of Human Speakers. Huw also makes what Winslow Burhoe called the speaker he would build, if he had stayed at EPI. I have an early pair of Human 61 speakers, and they live up to the heritage.

EPI 100 speakers were on Consumer Reports' "Best Buy" list back in the 70s, so just about every other household purchased a pair, making them easy to find even today.

The mighty EPI 1000! Our band had a pair of those. We never played in a space that couldn't be filled with sound from those.

The Direct Acoustics speakers, called Silent Sound 2, are being made and sold by Huw Powell, of Human Speakers. Huw also makes what Winslow Burhoe called the speaker he would build, if he had stayed at EPI. I have an early pair of Human 61 speakers, and they live up to the heritage.
I had the opportunity to acquire a beautiful (and fully functional) pair of 1000s a few years back -- I was sorely tempted, but it was before the new house was built, and I really, really, really had no place to put them.

I had an EPI 100, did a poor job of re-foaming the woofers cosmetically and gave them away. :(
The EPI 100's and the A-25's are the only bookshelves I really liked.

I had the opportunity to acquire a beautiful (and fully functional) pair of 1000s a few years back -- I was sorely tempted, but it was before the new house was built, and I really, really, really had no place to put them.
If I had that opportunity now, I would rent a storage locker.

The EPI 100, and other EPI/Epicure/Genesis is what I suggest whenever a vintage audio newbie asks me where to start with speakers. I think for the $$ the sound is almost unbeatable and the speakers are easy to re-foam if required.

I recently just happened into a pair of Reynolds Advance A2, a name I did not recognize. but it turns out that they are out of the Burhoe school (http://www.humanspeakers.com/o/advance-A-II.htm) ... a two-way with the standard EPI/Genesis 8" woofer and 10" passive but with a Peerless Style K010DT Silk Dome Tweeter (like this https://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speaker-peerless-dome-tweeter-t-k010dt.html) instead of the inverted dome tweeter. The woof and passive needed foams and the glue is drying as I type this so I will give a brief report perhaps later this evening or tomorrow morning. Be interesting to hear how the Peerless sounds as I am not familiar with that tweeter.

Back
Top Bottom