Kinetic Wind Art / Sculpture

No affiliation, but I make it a point to stop at this shop (the Hogan Trading Company) in Moab UT whenever I visit. They have some wind sculptures by Lyman Whitaker. He has a studio near Zion National Park, and I have seen these sculptures in Springdale, UT also, at the Worthington Gallery. Hogan Trading's site has a page featuring his sculptures:

http://hogantrading.com/?page_id=668

They are not inexpensive. I'd like one myself, but the largest ones would cost more than my entire car! They range from $650 to $26,000. Whitaker has an interesting background--I understand these wind sculptures are something he is doing in his retirement.

I'll have to watch your video later on when I'm able, @mfrench.

@Kim G
That is exactly the size of spinner that I would like to build. I love messing with this kind of stuff.
I have a fairly large sheet of stainless steel in my garage,..... hmmmm [scratches at chin]

Q?: Maintenance. Do you have to do anything to keep it rotating smoothly?

The only maintenance is keeping the vines from my wife's from climbing up the post and hindering the blades. No other maintenance to keep it spinning. I did spray the fins with clear lacquer when I first put it up. I live in tornado alley and when the threat of a tornado or extremely high gusts of wind are present I will take it off the post and bring it inside.

Are you nuts ETLS? This calls for a Cheech & Chong rolling paper wrapped around an oz of Godfather OG while your wearing a life preserver. :smoke::D.

Just to add - I want one!

I need to start a poll to see who has partaken in the Big Bambu. We did it at party and that big rolling paper from the album took a good ounce to fill it. Back then it was 15 bucks an ounce for everyday quality or up to 45 for the good stuff. That was a really fun night. One of our buddies that was a medic in Vietnam had just got back for good and we were celebrating. Back then we didn't need much of reason to party but that was a good one.

In keeping with the thread. Some of the wind sculptures are stunning . Saw a few nice ones in Henderson NV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom