King Kong Anyone Seen It?

Eric H said:
It's one of his favorite films and he wanted to keep it in the same era.

From what I've heard Mr.Jackson really wanted to keep those bi-planes in the movie and couldn't think of any logical way to bring the movie into modern times and keep those planes.

Mike

I saw it with my wife and both of us enjoyed it, Rach has not seen the original( as have I) and we both thought it was pretty good, no brainer and lots of fun!!

I think I'll wait for KK to come to cable. The last "big event" remake I went to see (War Of The Worlds) was a disappointment for me....I wanted Spielberg to work his magic and he did'nt quite do it. So, I'm not to thrilled for a Kong remake.

I think maybe one reason a Kong remake set in 2005 would'nt work is because a totally unknown unexplored island with a giant ape running around (not to mention dinosaurs), would not escape detection as easily as it might...I say MIGHT...in the 1930's. The Discovery channel has had a freaking camera crew EVERYWHERE except the moon & planets.

I will say the 1976 Kong remake was just Gawdawlful! A real stinker. It is kinda weird & haunting though, watching KK climb the World Trade Center in that film.

Russ

Is it just me or has it been a looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggg time since Spielberg has worked any magic?

He kinda lost me when he quit making movies & started making Events. EVERYTHING in a Spielberg movie is just too "perfect"..you never forget you're watching a movie.-Sandy G.

RussinOhio said:
IThe last "big event" remake I went to see (War Of The Worlds) was a disappointment for me
Russ

It was on this end too.
example:
The whole idea that the alien war machines were burried
underground in storage rather than comming to earth like in the
original was a tough one to swallow.

THOR said:
Is it just me or has it been a looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggg time since Spielberg has worked any magic?

Spielbergs magic...as I call it...is the fact that he is a truly gifted filmmaker but in almost EVERY single picture he makes he fumbles! Movie freak that I am it frustrates me. WOTW could have been a sci-fi masterpiece in his hands but it was a rushed production. His first mistake in WOTW was having David Koepp write the screenplay (Same screen writer from Jurrasic Park)

The guys that make movies like "Godzilla","Independance Day", "Pearl Harbour"...are hacks...Spielberg is no "hack" but he's becoming one and its a shame to see a guy with raw filmmaking talent like his and not apply it. Apply it to make a cool as hell sci-fi adventure/thriller to blow us all away!

Dammit Steve! Remember "Duel"? You made a semi-truck scare the hell out of us....go back to your roots!

Russ

RussinOhio said:
Spielbergs magic...as I call it...is the fact that he is a truly gifted filmmaker but in almost EVERY single picture he makes he fumbles! Movie freak that I am it frustrates me. ...
Dammit Steve! Remember "Duel"? You made a semi-truck scare the hell out of us....go back to your roots!

Russ

I think Speilberg is suffering from Bakshi syndrome. The vast majority of Ralph Bakshi's movies were great, but always had some lapse in continuity that drove me batsh*t. eg:the hero of Wizards calling the baddie by another name, a bad dub in Hey Good Looking where a cop is talking about a gang. Sloppy.

Yeah, "Duel" worked for me because it was raw & gritty, unlike a lot of his megabuck later pictures. And who HASN'T had the dogchit scared outta 'em by a big truck at one time or another ? What's to keep that guy in that Peterbilt behind you from going berzerk ? Maybe his wife just left him. Maybe he found out he's got cancer. Maybe he just decided he's gonna get you for pulling in front of him, cutting him off...-Sandy G.

glen65 said:
It was on this end too.
example:
The whole idea that the alien war machines were burried
underground in storage rather than comming to earth like in the
original was a tough one to swallow.

I wondered when someone would mention this - however, I haven't read the book - is there anything like this in the book, or is it more like the older radio and movie versions? I agree that burying the machines long ago is a really dumb thing - if the Martians could send war machines eons ago, why didn't they just move in on Earth then? :screwy:

I think maybe one reason a Kong remake set in 2005 would'nt work is because a totally unknown unexplored island with a giant ape running around (not to mention dinosaurs), would not escape detection as easily as it might...I say MIGHT...in the 1930's. The Discovery channel has had a freaking camera crew EVERYWHERE except the moon & planets.

You're quite right. Heck, you could look at it on "Google Earth" or whatever it's called!

wasn't Harryhausen, dr.audio

Willis O' Brian was the man in charge of the stop-action photography.Harryhausen was there as an assistant.I read a great book on the making of King Kong years ago-it had everything you wanted to know about how they did the original,with chapters on O' Brien's workl on the silent Lost World.But I can 't remember the book's title or author,drat .

I saw the movie just the other night and personally found it to be very frustrating. Frustrating in that I thought many parts of the film were very, very good while others where just more of the same over the top, in your face CGI garabage that now litters most other hollywood blockbusters. Sequences such as Kong's battle with three T-Rexs, the rescue party being caught in the middle of a huge stampede of terrified dinosaurs, or their again having to battle off countless giant insects....where just too much and utterly unbelievable. Not unbelievable in that they were encountering long extinct species, but in that physics was completely disregarded. I am tried of seeing people fall hundreds of feet and walking away. I mean Kong was bitten numerous times during his battle with the T-Rexs yet was neither impaired nor drew blood. Come on! On the other hand, I thought that the emotion that they were able to create with Kong's character and his relationship with Ann was terrific. Had the more ridiculous parts of the movie been edited out, leaving us with just the grand landscapes of Skull Island and New York along with the Kong/Ann relationship, it could have been a truly great movie. I walked away really wishing I had not seen the final cut.

Just saw King Kong this afternoon.

In short, kinda fun, kinda long and Jack Black was a poor choice for the part. He chewed up the scenery more than all the T-Rex's, Raptors and giant bugs combined. They shoulda shot him off the Empire State Building in he beginning.

Don't get me wrong. I like Jack in his type of movie playing his type of character. This wasn't one of them. All he did here was glare and overact, which works in School of Rock, but not here.

Markw said:
Don't get me wrong. I like Jack in his type of movie playing his type of character. This wasn't one of them. All he did here was glare and overact, which works in School of Rock, but not here.
I agree that it's what he did, but that was the direction given to him. When PJ set out to make the movie, all he was going to do was shoot the original movie using todays CGI, etc. Thus, the over-acting, amazing physics defying stunts (I mean - Ann couldn't have survived all the abuse accidentally handed out by Kong - let alone all the falls, etc.)

The ape was a cracker. I've sat and watched the gorillas in our local zoo and the expressions and movement were superb. And even with the disbelief I still cried at the end (but I won't give away any more).

The movie definitely passed the wizzer test - I didn't need to go to the toilet from start to finish. I agree with one of the other posters, though - the first 30 minutes could be on the cutting room floor and we'd be none the wiser.

:banana: IMHO :banana:

Im an absolute movie fanatic(Im going to another one tonight,in fact),and Ive been waiting for King Kong a long time,but when I kept hearing about giant bugs,giant spiders,and giant worms,I decided to pass-a dena on this one.I just can deal with movies about bugs.
jimmy

Sandy G said:
Yeah, but do ANY of the remakes REALLY improve over the 1933 original ? -Sandy G.

IF it were recut, then this version could be better than the '33 version. Fay wasn't nearly the actress that Naomi Watts is and the relationship that is developed/shown in this version of KK is really wonderful. The special effects allow Kong to show more depth of character and yet sometimes absolutely get in the way of the story so....in the end, I guess this version isn't REALLY better but it could be with a good editor.

You know it's in trouble when Kong showed a greater range of emotions than the leading man.

Naomi Watts gets on my nerves.Shes a fine actress,but shes always complaining about doing serious work,then she does King Kong and the Ring movies and Le Divorce.Just wants it both ways,methinks.
Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom