KLH 17 and Accoustic Suppension Question

Flyingbase

Hey everyone,

I finally pulled the trigger and recapped and redoped my KLH 17s. Used dayton caps and AR vintage cloth surround sealant. Things are sounding very good! My question is, that after three coats of the sealant, I'm still getting very fast snap back on the driver when I gently push it in when its in the cabinets. I'm not sure if I should add another coat or look somewhere else for air leakage.

On a side note my bedroom is slowly being taken over by vintage audio equipment
file_zpsppkffbs3.jpeg

I'd have to see better pictures of the surrounds in good lighting. The main thing to check is your coating and make sure you didn't leave dry spots. I tended to apply fairly thickly and evenly when I did mine. Everything I've seen is they should still pop back but it should be much a much smoother action than if they were bone dry.

Or the gaskets sealing the individual speakers to the cabinets are leaking. I'd bet that's the culprit. Be careful you don't use too much AR goo, that can cause other issues.

I think the surrounds are pretty well sealed at this point, seems to be a good even layer over the entire thing. The caskets seem likely as I attempted to reuse the foam rings that were already there. There also seems to be some gaps in the caulking around the edge of the front face of the cabinet, maybe fill that as well?

I do have to say that I am very pleased with the sound of the 17s and the CS99As together, but alas I will only be bring the 17s to campus with me.

So I've resealed the drivers into the cabinet using rope caulk and I'm stilling seeing some pretty fast snap back. I think it is slower than in open air but it is hard to tell. If i compare it to the woofer in my pioneers the KLH woofers snap back way faster, not sure if this a factor of size difference or not though.

Replace gaskets on tweeters, and seal the back panel (from the inside). If the cabinet has any separation, seal the seams (again, from the inside). You've got plenty of doping on the surrounds. You don't want to increase their weight any more.

Acoustic suspension speakers are not intended to be airtight, but tight enough to slow down the rate of exchange. Normally, leakage of the cone and dustcap are enough to get the required effect.

Back
Top Bottom