KLH Model 23 good deal?

You did use a 4uf non-polarized capacitor specifically meant for speaker crossovers, right? If you put a polarized cap in there meant for DC circuits it won't work right. Also make sure the tweeter switch contacts are clean and working properly.

Cap should be an audio grade type like this:
027-421_HR_0.jpg
Yes. That's the exact cap I used actually. I'll check the contacts.

One thing about the Twenty-Threes and KLH speakers from that era in general is that they are definitely not sparkly and bright like a lot of other speakers. If you do an A /B comparison between them and most other modern speakers the highs are probably going to sound somewhat recessed and maybe even a bit dull at first. That's how they're voiced though, they have a very natural laid back high frequency response that's not "in-your-face". Much of their beauty lies in the midrange and of course that fantastic bass response. That's kind of the "New England sound" in a nutshell. Not everybody's cuppa tea but if you listen to them by themselves for a while you might be surprised how they grow on you.

I think that's the issue. I like crisp highs.
I have a pair of Model 24s that i love for Jazz and Classical but they don't do rock for me.
I need something with crystal highs and mellow mids.

Back
Top Bottom