1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

KLH Model 23 Resto and Info

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by doctorolds, Jul 27, 2014.

1. doctorolds

doctorolds AK Subscriber Subscriber

I truly appreciate the comment, but I would have to agree with you, lol.

Last edited: May 16, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You did them justice doc!
    One of KLHs best looking cabs besides the Fives in my opinion.

doctorolds likes this.
  3. doctorolds

Thanks Glenn, I think I like the 23's a little better. I still have a set or two of 5's to do and I think I'm going build some 12's with my extra driver's.

4. borus

borus Luthier tube guy Subscriber

Hi do you know the size of L1 on the diagram? and what is the "not" at the intersections? Is that a Pot or a switch?

5. gguillot

gguillot AK Subscriber Subscriber

Beautiful restoration work on both sets of 23's! Can you describe how you refinished the veneer and what products you used? I have a set of 23's that I use quite often and recapped them several years ago, but the outsides could use some freshening up.

doctorolds likes this.
  6. doctorolds

I do not know the value of L1, sorry.
    The word is "nut". I solder the connections and put the plastic nut on for an original appearance.

7. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Fantastic, top-drawer work!

doctorolds likes this.
  8. TheLostBrain

TheLostBrain Active Member

Beautiful job - Very nice!
    I picked up a set of these prob 2+ years ago now. I had ordered ordered the caps and then got busy with other projects. Making me want to get moving on them again. :)

doctorolds likes this.
  9. doctorolds

Thank you folks for the wonderful comments.

Short explanation of the refinishing process:

1) The bulk of the original finish was mostly removed with a power sander, caution near edges.

2) Repeated hand sanding and steaming with an iron and damp cloth to remove scratches and dents, caution near edges.

3) Repair damaged veneer by replacing with old scrap veneer when most of original finish has been removed. Repeat step #2. When you think you are finished wipe the surface down with mineral spirits to reveal any problems you may not have noticed and address them as needed. This also gives you an idea of how they will look when the finish is applied.

4) Apply 3 coats of Danish oil followed by 3 coats of satin wipe-on-poly, possibly 4 or more of each depending on appearance.

Take a look at GD70's many threads on refinishing and repairing veneer, they are awesome.

The explanation above and products used are not necessarily the best way to obtain the gloss and protection you are looking for. There are a lot of threads here on AK discussing how to re-finish cabinets and the various products used that may suit your needs better. I also plan on trying some of them in the future and I highly recommend that you do some reading.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    gguillot and GD70 like this.
  10. superdog

superdog AK Member

Those came out real nice.I have some Model 6s (vinyl wrap)that had one non original and a dead original tweeter on the other.I am going to recap and my question is...is there another replacement type tweeter that I can use.Of course I want the originals but they are not that common or available.

11. doctorolds

I do not know of an aftermarket tweeter that would be comparable in sound or fit. I personally would stick with any version of the original KLH tweeters with the 5, 12, and 23 version only being a bit better than the others. As an AK subscriber you could post a wanted add in Bartertown and hopefully a member has some to offer. Currently on ePay there is a set from a pair of model 5's for about $40 plus shipping. Hopefully another member will see this and let you know if they have a pair available. Best of luck with your search.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018

12. superdog

superdog AK Member

Thanks I'll look at those 5s on eBay.I must have missed them because I've been looking.

13. doctorolds

Just do a search for KLH tweeter's, and they will show up a bit down in the list under similar items I think. If you can't find them let me know and I'll PM you the link.

PM incoming.