KLH Model 24 Prices?

rotobadger

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a line on a decent pair of KLH Model 24 speakers for $50. Worth it?

Edited.

Last edited:
If you really mean KLH 23, they use the same woofer as KLH Five. Tweeter is the common KLH unit (a bit different than the one in the Five, but the sound is quite similar). A nice speaker, but a little darker sound than the Sixes or the Fives, and not as dynamic sounding as those two. $50 would be a very good price.

If you mean the KLH 24 - which have a punchy sound and to my ears are quite enjoyable, and very listenable - $50 is a still a pretty decent deal if they are in nice shape.

Hey Steve, yep they’re 24s for sure. My mistake. I’m kind of itching to pick them up. Maybe I can see if he’ll go even lower.

Also, I sent you an email earlier today.

The 24s, like a lot of smaller acoustic suspension speakers of the era, have a relatively low sensitivity (86dB or thereabouts), combined with woofers that reach their mechanical limits a bit early. When pushed hard, they tend to bottom out. But they weren't designed to be played at concert levels...and they can still fill a smaller room without issue. Yiou might find that they run out of steam, so to speak, in a larger room.

That said, I really like them (at least as well as the more expensive 17s and 20s...which have the same sized woofer).

One other thing about them....they were sold both as part of the KLH 24 component system, and stand-alone. The system version has RCA speaker terminals, whereas the stand-alone version takes standard bare wire.

Nice vintage bookshelf. Cloth surrounds that can be resealed to tighten up bass. I have a pair listed now on offer up. I think I'm asking 60 or 70. Mine are the stand alone ones.

If they haven't been recapped yet it's super easy to do on 24s. These are the first speaker I pulled apart, fixed up and put back together again.
I have one pair that the cap (i think there's just one) was blown open and the tweeter was not functioning. Two bucks in parts later and it sounds great.
I treated the surrounds on one pair and not the other but haven't noticed an appreciable difference. Should probably do a head to head.
I'm in at about 75 bucks for both pair including caps and AR surround juice.

I see you're from New England too. Fun to always find KLH stuff in these parts. Great speakers. I have sixes, twenty three's and twenty four's.

I see you're from New England too. Fun to always find KLH stuff in these parts. Great speakers. I have sixes, twenty three's and twenty four's.
I’d go broke. I have a nice pair of KLH Model 5 and now I want to add to the KLH collection. Probably some 6s next.

Already my wife is saying enough with the speakers!

KLH are everywhere around Boston it seems.
I have two pair of 24s and a pair of 23s.
Recently fixed up a pair of 6s for a friend and i am currently working on a pair of his 17s. Probably $150 tops tied up in all five pair.
I'd love to find a pair of 5s to check out.

Ditto on the 5's. Love my others though. Sixes were venerable and super popular back in the day so they seem to be more plentiful.

Back
Top Bottom