KLH Model 5 or Polk Monitor 7's

Uh, Fives for me. The Polk 7 are nice but the Five is really good. The five might need a restoration to get to that realization.

I've owned a pair of Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7As (as they were then called) since 1978. KLH Fives have passed through here, but not stayed.

DSC_7011 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The KLH 5 is a good speaker; arguably the best of the early "monkey coffin" KLH loudspeakers (the KLH Nine electrostatic is in a very different league). The KLH is prettier and better built (i.e., built of better materials) than the Polk. The KLH 5 is probably 'better' in terms of LF performance -- but the Polks are darned fine sounding loudspeakers,with superb balance and defintion and way better than average midrange performance -- especially given their very modest original price.

The Polks should be cheaper, too.

My vote goes for Polk -- or, of course, both.

KLH_1.jpg

KLH_Specs.jpg

source: http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=5140
Not sure of the year of the above; www.classicspeakerpages.net suggests the Fives were made from 1968-1972 but I am not sure that's accurate.

Scan0013 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
source: Gordon Miller Music hifi catalog, ca. 1978. It is probably worth noting that the illustration in the catalog is not a 7A but is rather the original Model 7, with an 8" uncoated paper passive radiator. The 7A had a 10" coated paper PR.

Here's a 7A (one of mine, in fact):

Polkmonitor7Asn4900 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Both great speakers, and it really comes down to personal preference. I would buy both, recap, then listen to one for about a month or so then listen to the other, rinse and repeat. That way you will know which you prefer. I had a pair of Monitor 7s and liked the a lot. In my opinion the are the best of the monitor line. I sold them before I got my KLH Model 6s so I never got a chance to listen to them head to head, but I doubt I will never sell my Model 6s.

^^^^^^^^^Hmmm Mark; did those 5's belong to Markus at one time?
Yeah, I am not sure about this particular pair -- they do belong to LexDM3, (if he still has them) but they spent some quality time here a year or so ago.
I had other Fives in the past from -- my erstwhile favorite local source.

I've got a set of 7B and a set of KLH SIxes. I score the Sixes as more pleasing, but I may get my peerless tweeters in the 7B's refurbed to make sure the ferrofluid is ok in them. That might make the difference. Both have been recapped. Can't say about the Fives as I have never heard them.

Back
Top Bottom