KLH Model 5 vs Model 6

They were the best for bass response on the stands

GB: I have a pair of Sixes that I've decided to put on stands. You have a pic of the stands you used? I've seen some DYI wood stands I'm leaning toward but I'm still mulling this over. Thanks!

Wow I hadn't thought of them as bookshelf speakers due to their size. Know if they ever made stands for any of these speakers? I'm thinking of building something.

I use a pair of original AR stands with mine and they work well.

GB: I have a pair of Sixes that I've decided to put on stands. You have a pic of the stands you used? I've seen some DYI wood stands I'm leaning toward but I'm still mulling this over. Thanks!

Here you go!

8461731188_4e308b33ac_m.jpg

8461730826_f23d399897_m.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about the duplicate photos. i didn't save them in flickr the 1st time, so now since I saved them they are now seen in the first post. The speakers in the 2nd pic are the Norman lab Model 11's. Also an acoustic suspension w/10" woofers & rubber surrounds. They have dual Phillips tweeters. Sound very close to the Klh 23's, just a shade brighter. They are 25" tall vs 23" for the model 6's so you should get a good idea of what the 6's would look like on the stands. I paid 35.00 on the bay for the stands unfinished. Just threw some stain on them, but haven't taken the time to add gloss.

Why is that beautiful teak furniture in the basement being used as a workbench? :no:

Nice...now got me really thinkin' :scratch2: :scratch2:

If your handy with a tape measure and saw I figure just a few bucks for the pine will do it. Width is 15". From floor to platform is 6" with Platform tilted just slightly.

Just bought a complete set of drivers from twelves to fill my beautiful $20 Goodwill 23 cabs. Total cost with new caps will be $180. I can't wait for my parts to arrive, I have a Sony STR V-4 waiting to drive them.

Just bought a complete set of drivers from twelves to fill my beautiful $20 Goodwill 23 cabs. Total cost with new caps will be $180. I can't wait for my parts to arrive, I have a Sony STR V-4 waiting to drive them.

I'm torn between my 23's and 5's as to which I like better. IMO the 23's are among the best vintage 2 ways. FYI, with the woofers and tweets tight in the cabinet, push the woofers in with your thumbs and release. They should take about a second to return to position. If they spring right back then the cloth surrounds need to be redoped. RoyC here on AK formulated a resealer (dope) for the surrounds that is very close to the original that was applied to the cloth surrounds at the factory. It is sold through Vintage AR on ebay.
Keep us posted on the rebuild!

Mine.

I also have the OLA's, too. I think they sound similiar.

Attachments

• DSCN0003 (2).jpg
    DSCN0003 (2).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 58
Mine.

I also have the OLA's, too. I think they sound similiar.

My Norman Labs I've had for just about a month. They are also sealed and very much in the same league as the 5's and 23's. OLA's and AR3a's are on my short list for new additions.

Finished building my model Twenty-Three's and I am quite pleased with the outcome even though they do still need to be redoped, they sound very nice. I used 1% Dayton caps and model Twelve drivers. Anyone have any idea about the difference between the honey colored and black sealants used by KLH on the surrounds? Here are some pics:

Attachments

• Picture 086.jpg
    Picture 086.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 096.jpg
    Picture 096.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 099.jpg
    Picture 099.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 93
Finished building my model Twenty-Three's and I am quite pleased with the outcome even though they do still need to be redoped, they sound very nice. I used 1% Dayton caps and model Twelve drivers. Anyone have any idea about the difference between the honey colored and black sealants used by KLH on the surrounds? Here are some pics:

I've no idea other than it's hard to imagine that either wouldn't work. I think he offers a clear that might most maintain the original look if yours are honey-colored... I wouldn't push them too hard without re-sealing.

I believe they are the same except for color.
Your 23's look very nice. I'd eventually like a set of 23's & 5's to go with my 6's.

Back
Top Bottom