KLH Model 6 questions

I just checked my KLH Model 4's for you. No dice, they run two 2" tweeters. Good luck on your search.

@DJReese , as an FYI... assuming that both your tweeters and woofers are the screw in type, you have the late model version of the 6's.

A member of AK of a member of the barter town, How do you become a member?[/QUOTE

Its saying I don't have
No offense. I figure with the smaller woofers the 17 does better in the crossover region. Mine were high for a GW find but are great for my workroom setup and were in unbelievably good shape.

Best bet either bartertown or keep checking ebay (or if they have an alert system set one up). Finding missing bits for some receivers in my collection it took some time for one to come up with a reasonable price on Ebay.

When looking for info on my 17s I found this page devoted to the early KLH speakers and systems. Shows the original prices too. Can use it to figure out which other speakers used the same tweeter. I am sure the Model 17 and its four ohm 20 cousin used the same tweeter. Looking at the list it looks like the 30 and 33 did too.

http://www.aphenos.net/electronics/speakers/klh/all_klh.htm

@DJReese , as an FYI... assuming that both your tweeters and woofers are the screw in type, you have the late model version of the 6's.

They are screw in type so I knew they weren't the first year models. One thing I love about them is how beautiful they are with the screens on and how ugly they are with them off. All function in my opinion

They are screw in type so I knew they weren't the first year models. One thing I love about them is how beautiful they are with the screens on and how ugly they are with them off. All function in my opinion
You also mentioned you needed a parts list? I recapped my "late model" pair last year, this what I ordered from Parts express... It was pretty easy to do them and very accessible once you remove the woofer and the fiberglass. QTY of four for each cap is enough to do both speakers.

upload_2019-1-20_19-30-0.png

Last edited:
You also mentioned you needed a parts list? I recapped my "late model" pair last year, this what I ordered from Parts express... It was pretty easy to do them with every accessible once you remove the woofer the the fiberglass. QTY of four for each cap is enough to do both speakers.

View attachment 1392845

How did it sound after you recapped them?

Also how can you tell if they are going out? It doesn't sound muddy but when compared to my JBL's its not as detailed

How did it sound after you recapped them?

Also how can you tell if they are going out? It doesn't sound muddy but when compared to my JBL's its not as detailed
It was a preemptive move on my case, following the advice of a few on this site. Also sealed the woofer surrounds with a sealant recommended on this site from VintageAR.... In the end I can't say the caps made it sound much different but I can say the sealant absolutely did.. That tightened up the base...

Also how can you tell if they are going out?
missed this question... One of the issues I've read about with a stock AR is what appears to be tweeter failure that is actually the result of a cap failure. Thats one reason to change them and a tangible sound difference by recapping. One thing though, although I don't think yours would have them, I've read that AR's with oil caps should be left alone.

If it was not clear I understand you have to be a subscriber to use barter town. An added feature that comes with the annual fee. The basic membership to take part in the forums is free.

I looked up my old Parts Express order and the caps for the 17 were the same, a 2+2 and an 8 uF which in my case I used the 4.7+3.3 combo. Capacitors in parallel add in value.

I did the doping and recapping together. The combination greatly improved the sound of my 17s.

I too have read the old oil filled caps generally don't need replacement. I read a number of past posts that did not speak well of the black Temple capacitors and recommended their replacement.

missed this question... One of the issues I've read about with a stock AR is what appears to be tweeter failure that is actually the result of a cap failure. Thats one reason to change them and a tangible sound difference by recapping. One thing though, although I don't think yours would have them, I've read that AR's with oil caps should be left alone.

What do you mean by AR's? This is a KLH thread.

I already ordered the reseal kit. I can tell that it needs to be freshened up so that it seals better. Also are the oil filled ones bigger? Also I think the oiled ones are on the earlier models.

Oil filled caps are the earliest of the early models with the expoxied drivers. Your's won't have oil caps.

If it was not clear I understand you have to be a subscriber to use barter town. An added feature that comes with the annual fee. The basic membership to take part in the forums is free.

I looked up my old Parts Express order and the caps for the 17 were the same, a 2+2 and an 8 uF which in my case I used the 4.7+3.3 combo. Capacitors in parallel add in value.

I did the doping and recapping together. The combination greatly improved the sound of my 17s.

I too have read the old oil filled caps generally don't need replacement. I read a number of past posts that did not speak well of the black Temple capacitors and recommended their replacement.

Please break this down for me a little better so that I can get educated:

"I looked up my old Parts Express order and the caps for the 17 were the same, a 2+2 and an 8 uF which in my case I used the 4.7+3.3 combo. Capacitors in parallel add in value.

The cross-overs for the Six and Seventeen are the same with the exception that the Six has a choke coil in the woofer circuit. Same switch, resistors and capacitors for both the Six and Seventeen. If you are only ordering caps for replacement either diagram will suffice.

The cross-overs for the Six and Seventeen are the same with the exception that the Six has a choke coil in the woofer circuit. Same switch, resistors and capacitors for both the Six and Seventeen. If you are only ordering caps for replacement either diagram will suffice.

I just ordered 4 027-4134 caps for the model 6's. Is there anything else I need to put in the cart before I check out?

I just ordered 4 027-4134 caps for the model 6's. Is there anything else I need to put in the cart before I check out?
Not sure about the cap qty your ordering. I had 8 in total... 4 x 414 and 4 x 421... @Tim D , can you confirm? You helped me out when I did mine last year...

Back
Top Bottom