KLH Model 6

shane2468

Very recently I won a pair of KLH Model 6 Speakers on the famous action site. This will be my very first time to own a KLH Speaker! I'm awaiting them, I don't have them with me yet.

I'm not very sure what age my particular Model 6 are? Please see the pics below (Not taken by me!)

What is their impedance and sensitivity? Do I have to be careful with amp matching with the Model 6?

I have 2 Solid State Integrated amps. 1. Exposure XV Integrated. 2. Marantz Model 1040.

Like all Exposure amps..... The Exposure XV has a famous ''Switch on Thump'' This is very common with Exposure amps..... The ''Thump'' Is pretty safe with modern speakers, but I don't know if the KLH Model 6 will take it???

KGrHqVjMFC1oDTmeKBQ415Cp3g60_12.jpg

KGrHqVjkFChzYTSonBQ415GV760_12.jpg

KLH model 6 is rated at 8 ohms and has a 40 watt capacity. Your turn on thump shouldn't bother them. You'll know if it does the first time you hear it. Minimum recommended power is 15 watts. Even by 1960s standards they were relatively easy to drive. You should have no problems.

KLH model 6 is rated at 8 ohms and has a 40 watt capacity. Your turn on thump shouldn't bother them. You'll know if it does the first time you hear it. Minimum recommended power is 15 watts. Even by 1960s standards they were relatively easy to drive. You should have no problems.

Thanks.

Okay, with that sort of butterscotch colored grille cloth, the removable drivers, black woofer sealant, black terminal plates and painted backs, we're probably talking about the middle of the production run, or the late '60s.

John

I run my Model 6s with a pair of Model 30s off a 50-watt per-channel Onkyo. At max volume each speaker would receive 25 watts, but I have never played it beyond 40 percent and it is plenty loud. I think you would be very pleased driving yours with the 20-watt Marantz.

Okay, with that sort of butterscotch colored grille cloth, the removable drivers, black woofer sealant, black terminal plates and painted backs, we're probably talking about the middle of the production run, or the late '60s.

John

Thanks!

I run my Model 6s with a pair of Model 30s off a 50-watt per-channel Onkyo. At max volume each speaker would receive 25 watts, but I have never played it beyond 40 percent and it is plenty loud. I think you would be very pleased driving yours with the 20-watt Marantz.

Thanks.

My other amp, the Exposure XV is 35-40 into 8 ohms. So both amps are OK!

Congrats on your 6's!
I also purchased a pair recently and replaced the caps with the help of some very knowledgeable guys here. I also re-doped the woofer surrounds which you should probably do. The dope compound is available on line. This reseals the surrounds to help keep the speakers air tight.
Google vintage-ar.
My tweeters did not work and we thought the re-cap would fix them, but it seems they are not repairable and will need to replace them. The woofers sound great.
I'll be driving mine with a JVC A-X5 amp @ 73 wpc so I suspect they will play plenty loud, and some have commented they like power.

Let us know how they sound.

Glenn

Last edited:
I drive mine with a Sherwood S7900a (60or65 watts) with no problems. But I really dont push things that hard. Eric

Congrats on your 6's!
I also purchased a pair recently and replaced the caps with the help of some very knowledgeable guys here. I also re-doped the woofer surrounds which you should probably do. The dope compound is available on line. This resells the surrounds to help keep the speakers air tight.
Google vintage-ar.
My tweeters did not work and we thought the re-cap would fix them, but it seems they are not repairable and will need to replace them. The woofers sound great.
I'll be driving mine with a JVC A-X5 amp @ 73 wpc so I suspect they will play plenty loud, and some have commented they like power.

Let us know how they sound.

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn.

One problem, I have health issues with my right hand...Sadly, I can't do re-capping and drive unit work etc.

Yes, will let you know how I get on with them.

Back
Top Bottom