KLH Model 9

Holy smokes what a listening room. How can someone get two pairs of such a rare speaker!? There must be more of these around than it seems.

Either way, very nice acquisition. Reading this thread makes me want to hear a pair!

I'd ask how the system sounds but other than using a pair of D76a's rather than the slightly earlier D75 and a SP3a1 instead of the Sp3c version and an ADC XLM Super in lieu of your Decca I had the same setup for ome time and it kicke butt BIG time and how I ended up with the pair of ARCs I used for about a decade. All I can say is you hav gret taste :) .

They aren't quite as rare as people are making them out to be. If you really want a pair, or two, they are out there, and at reasonable prices compared to what new electrostats go for.

Original (sort of) owner of KLH Model 9 Speakers

To any and all,

My mother purchased the KLH-9's in 1972 and they are still going strong. I have a great deal of listening experience with these but also some questions.
1. each panel has developed a slight 60Hz hum which I was told was a filter capacitor breaking down. Any comments? Repair ideas?
2. One of the grille cloths is stained and I'd like to replace both to have a match. Any comments? Repair Ideas?

These speakers were purchased in Cincinnati from a now long-gone audio store called United Radio. We were told by the salesmen who delivered them, and the related McIntosh Amp and Preamp, that the speakers were built by hand by an individual named Ron Church. Around 1983 I sent one of the power supply/crossovers to Mr. Church in Cambridge, Mass. for repair, which he did. Recent contacts with him have failed. Has anyone heard if him?

Ron was the KLH employee who worked with Art when they did a production run. When KLH disposed of the parts he purchased the lot and offered service for them. I talked with him some time I think about '87 to discuss sending mine to him for rebuilding. When I called back a couple ofmonths later the phone was disconnected. In trying to trace him an acquaintance from the Boston Audio Society told me he had passed away and sadly, his wife had sent all his junk to the trash which included all of the remaining Nine parts.

Please, as a custodian of these speakers, refer to them corectly. They are the Model Nine and not 9. Marantz had a lock on the Model 9 name.

There are a number of owners of Nines here. My last pair I gave to Cosmos here and he is running 3 sets I believe. I used to run multiples years ago using a variety of tube amps including Marantz 9s in triode mode. The Nines do not go loud even with big amps but, only arc so stay in the 50 watt range. A Mc MC250 makes for a very good amp for the speaker. My last amp on my was the ARC D76a, an excellent mate.

David Janszen offers through his new JansZen company rebuild services for them; at the time I gave mine away he did not offer a full service on them.

Placement is critical so spend some time with them and start looking for that 2nd pair as they go best doubled for stereo. While bass is not banging, it has something most speakers do not, detail and resolution.
Marantz???:nono::nono:
I believe and to my knowledge Acoustic Research had the lock on there AR9 to me thee first real Model 9 and last REAL Model 9 that was made. .:deal::smoke:

By the time the ARC 9 was released the Marantz 9 and KLH Nines both were out of production.

When KLH started make speakers, Marantz had trademarked the model #s it was using so KLH had to decide what to do; Marantz had put them on notice not to infringe on the "Model" and numerical syntax they had planned to use and hence for KLH, they used Model Six, One, Five, Nine rather than the numeral.

AR did not use "Model" as a formal part of their line I'd but used "AR" plus a number such as AR1, 5, etc. The AR 9 came along long after these issues were past history and most companies did not worry about it or used slight varies such as 3xa, and so one that AR did with some models. You have to go back to the 50s.

Thanks, Brian. Very sorry to hear that Mr. Church is gone.
Still wondering about the hum. During their first 25 years of service they were constantly energized, even when the Mac's were off. I unplug them between listening sessions.
-Astronomer

Art's son, David who has the new JansZen speaker company offers repair services for the Nines. I believe he is a member here. He offers several levels of work and considering the quality of the Nine's sound that is still right up there with some of the best the cost is very reasonable considering what it would cost to purchase a new set of speakers.

Most Nines that have not been reworked by now are in need of being rebuilt. The power supply has to have the wax melted out and caps and rectifiers replaced at a minimum and the wiring usually reworked at the connectors.

By the time the ARC 9 was released the Marantz 9 and KLH Nines both were out of production.

When KLH started make speakers, Marantz had trademarked the model #s it was using so KLH had to decide what to do; Marantz had put them on notice not to infringe on the "Model" and numerical syntax they had planned to use and hence for KLH, they used Model Six, One, Five, Nine rather than the numeral.

AR did not use "Model" as a formal part of their line I'd but used "AR" plus a number such as AR1, 5, etc. The AR 9 came along long after these issues were past history and most companies did not worry about it or used slight varies such as 3xa, and so one that AR did with some models. You have to go back to the 50s.
hey no prob just playing with ya.I know the other 9's are older. but being as I have 4 pairs of AR9'S I'm a little bias.:smoke:

Thanks Again, Brian.

Sounds like I need to contact JanZen. Luckily, Columbus is only a 90 mile trip.

All: A number of folks on this site have commented on arcing and popping. This did occur at high volume with the 50W MC2505 amp. I'm now using a Arcam unit which is rated at 140W/channel and there is no popping, even at high levels. I was told that I was hearing the M-9's reaction to clipping transients and the more robust amp would cure the problem. It did. The Arcam has 'soft clipping' and warning lights in case it's being driven too hard.

I recall that the delivery technicians said there was one other pair of Model Nine's in Cincinnati at the time. They were bought by Thomas Shippers, the late conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony.

Be careful with the amp power. The maximum voltage from the amp before the Nines will melt is 49. volts. The MC2505 max voltage is 49 volts that translated to get he 50 watts. While KLH rated the speaker power in volts, not many amp specs are in volts. I used the MC250 with mine for decades and they reached the design spl. Driving them harder will greatly shorten their life without increasing the sound levels. The setup should be the 2505 running at a level where it will handle peaks without clipping. My 200 watt Philips increased the dynamics just a bit but the average listening level was no greater.

The 2505 will not pass dc so it compresses the signal before the signal collapses similar to a tube amp. It is a function of the autoformer. Similarly, a cap output amp is designed to block dc output from clipping. These designs can have a similar signature compared to a direct output ss design and may help explain why some prefer one design over the other.

had them once

Model Nine's with Crown DC300, IC 150,
Loved the sound quality and imaging
even the bass drum was clear from that huge diaphragm "as real"
Yes I could compare to live sound

downsized to SAE 02' series with Mark XII's with electrostat (keeping in the tradition)
and with the SAE A502 have a Heil AMT1 both sound very good
since an upgrade is $$$$

I believe these were purchased out of Boston for $200 and one of the speakers kept blowing a fuse randomly. The OP I think has sold them since. The KLH Nines are a nice speakers but solid state amps driving them do not sound that good.

My brother gave me a call this morning. He was helping his boss clear out some stuff and asked if I wanted some big speakers. I guess they have been in storage strapped to a pallet since he moved up from California 20 years ago and just wanted them gone.

I asked what they were, he said they are KLH model nines electrostatic speakers.

I said yes :D

What lottery number did you play this week? That is great. But, likely they will need some power supply work including a change out of the selenium rectifier. You may want to contact the David Janszen. He has the new JansZen company and it provides services for the old Nines. Considering your investment, you have sufficient budget to get them rebuilt and still be way below the cost of a new set of speakers of anything similar to their sound quality.

Seems funny how everyone loves the QUAD ESL and they go for big bucks while the Nines are all but unnoticed in terms of value and prices yet, are so much better than the ESL.

I have only seen photos and have no idea what they need so thanks for the insight. The owner said they worked fine last he used them. I can't really tell much from the photos because they are covered in dust (you would think he would have covered them in plastic?).

Once I get my hands on them I will know more. At worst they may have some parts someone needs?

Dust is their worst enemy. You will need to vacuum them at a minimum and possibly open them to get them clean. Art did not sock them well against dust. When David rebuilds them, I understand he adds a sock.

Unlike other types of speakers these are not something that parts out for the most part. Make sure you get the bass plates and angle brackets. Many times buyers are unaware of them. If the stand alone on a carpet you need the base. Even on a floor not carpeted they are pretty prone to tipping. The angle brackets are to connect the panels together for stereo when using a single pair. The base plates are then not used.

You really should speak with David as to your options. I am not sure.If there is still.Cosmos around. He was collecting them and I seem to remember he was running 3 pair and had a 4th in reserve. Multiple sets are an experience that is better than a certain act between consenting adults in the right room, set up correctly and with the right amps. They are better with tube amps.

Hmmm, not sure if they have the base plates. I doubt my 2A3 set will power them? I will probably try my Scott 299C or Fisher 800C. I have a Yamaha B-2 and Nakamichi PA-7AII but they are both probably too powerful?

I will post some pictures in a few minutes. Listening to Elvis Costello right now :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom